Looking at '87 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003 | 12:00 AM
Steely-Dank
2nd Gear

Cool Looking at '87 Targa

Hi Guys,

Major newbie here. Need some advice on a car I'm looking at on ebay:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411388126&category=10156" target="_blank">Linky</a>

This will be my first Porsche and I'm going to try to see and drive it before making any decisions. Besides getting a PPI is there anything that I (as a not particularly mechanically inclined nor adept person) should look out for? Thanks in advance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to become part of the big happy rennlist family soon!!
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:12 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Proud owner of an 86 Cab here....just bought and paid for today.

Below I am posting a list of things to look for, that I saw in another forum in response to a question about turbo coupes. Its pretty general and relates to turbos, but gives you an idea of things to check out for all Porsches:

1) Heat exchangers (a whole new Stainless-Steel exhaust system alone can cost $1000 - lots more labour costs if the rusted studs attaching parts to the engine have to be drilled out.)
2) 2nd and 3rd Gear synchromesh + "Clunk" when reverse engaged. (Again, you can be talking over $1000+ to get someone to take the engine out and rebuild the gearbox.)
3) Rust and filler in the body work. (Use a magnet to check for filler.) Area below front headlamps (where meets rubber Fender) and Radio antennae are primes area for rust.
4) Air-Conditioning unit. (If, when you flick on the A/C, the engine begins to vibrate violently above 2,500rpm, you need a new Compressor - $600ish.)
5) Brakes. (A new set of Cross-drilled Ventilated disks, pads, and handbrake shoes will set you back at least $500.)
6) Get the owner to hold the engine at 2,000rpm while you listen to the sound – if it sounds like a bag of nails, walk away! (Engine rebuild at the very least $1000+.)
7) Check all the lights, switches and dials. (Headlight washer on my car still doesn't work.)
8) Check the Electric windows, Mirrors and Sunroof.
9) Check the upholstery and seats for cigarette burns, rips and tears. (Check beneath the mats and carpets for the condition of the floor pan.)
10) A LHD conversion is the US is worth less than a RHD! (Check for this.)
11) Check your Space-Saver Tire, Electric Pump, Jack and Tool kit are all present and correct.
12) Check that the car numbers (engine and body) match up okay. (A 911 turbo’s code from before 1980 should begin with 930 – the “Porsche Red Book” will detail all this.) A lot of other Porsche books have a sections entitled, “Buying a used 911..” Take a read.

Obviously, this is just the "irritating stuff" rather than the "downright dangerous." Check all the obvious stuff, like the car accelerates and brakes in a straight line (i.e. doesn’t pull to one side)! Don’t buy a “Cut ‘n’ shut” (i.e. two cars welded together). Take a look beneath the car at the rear torsion bar – if this is crumbling, run away and don’t look back!
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:32 AM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Get the PPI. Don't try to be a Porsche expert, mistakes are just to expensive. You can visually check all the interior and paint issues. #11 above is a great point. What "clean" Porsches sell for on Ebay is amazingly low. I always wonder what condition they are really in.

Make sure the targa top doesn't puff up like a balloon when driving, I hate seeing that.

good luck! The 3.2's are sooooo much fun to drive.
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:37 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Get a PPI on this car (and not by the mechanic who was the previous owner!)- looks like a kid owned it with the mods (no offense to others that do this type of stuff)- I'm a "keep it stock" guy, and tend to look extra close at cars with non-stock chips, aftermarket exhausts, subwoofers and crooked speedometers. Could be a perfect car though- love the color combo- I had the same car- triple black 1987 targa- bullet proof car if maintained/treated right! Good luck with it if it works out- I hope it does!

Andrew
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:44 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know why these other guys are trying to scare you. An '87 Carrera is a sweet ride, I had one for several years, before an SUV did some serious body work for me.

The only real issues that I had on a car with 130K miles clocked, was the valve guides and the alternator/voltage regulator. The alternator /voltage regulator fried my electrical system and the valve guides sucked oil like it was free drinks at the open bar.

Body work shouldn't be an issue since all Porsches have been zinc dipped (galvanized) since 1976. A PPI is a must.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:57 AM
Steely-Dank
2nd Gear

Andrew911 - I also noticed the crooked speedometer! I sent a message to the seller asking what the deal was. We'll have to see. It seems strange considering the level of detail towards the the other things (stereo, wheels, etc). I also think a stock car is more desirable, but it seems that none of the mods are too gaudy and it looks to be well done.
Old 04-19-2003 | 08:59 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Steely-Dank...for $4.95 you can do a title search on Ebay. Id recommend that. I found my car on Ebay and did the title search. It came up clean and the mileage was verified. I then called the owner direct, went out and saw the car, we cut a deal and he took it off Ebay.

That speedometer being twisted around is a Red Flag.
Old 04-19-2003 | 11:36 AM
gr8fl4porsche
Intermediate

I have an 87 triple black Targa, no way I would ever let it go for anywhere near $ 17,000. Now is a terrible time to sell but a great time to buy.The aftermarket mods would not deter me at all, since he seems to have all the factory pieces. The exhaust mods are very common and cost much more than $1,000, some stainless mufflers go almost that high. Lots of owners do not like the stock steering wheel. The aftermarket ones make the car feel more 'sporty' and give you a little more room to get in and out of the car. The downside is that a smaller wheel will make turning at slow speeds more laborious ( no power steering on an 87). The subwoofer is a must if you enjoy tunes although I find myself rarely turning my system on. Aftermarket chips are common and would be a good idea with the changed exhaust. The turned speedo is a common trick since many aftermarket steering wheels block some view of the gauges. Lastly, the polished wheels probably set him back $1000.00 for the polishing. Check this car out very carefully with the help of a great mechanic and good luck.
Old 04-19-2003 | 08:52 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I am selling my 87 targa, its totally stock with 92k miles. Its special factory granite ice in color and dark granite interior with white pipe. The top is being totally restored as we sit here. If you're serious send me an email... Trader220@aol.com

Quick Reply: Looking at '87 Targa