Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

HELP - Radius arm is not coming out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP - Radius arm is not coming out!

My rear suspension bushing replacement project has ground to a halt. I can't get the radius arm to give even a hair. I tried monster screwdrivers, even the ride height tool wedged behind the arm. I can't get it to move forward.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rusted splines I believe. I'd cut the rubber off and get a torch out.

I'm too scared to mess my rear ones because of this, and I need to get enough money together to get all that smart racing stuff, I mean wevo
Old 06-23-2006, 12:55 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

crowbar - tap with a hammer and hose down the area back behind there with KRoil or pb Blaster - then tap again; keep tapping 10 time each hour for a few days.

If that doesn't get the thing off it will at least keep you busy - time & tapping
Old 06-23-2006, 12:58 AM
sww914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soak the back of it with penetrant, and try 2 prybars opposite one another, pry one, the other, back and forth, trying to walk it off little by little.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Patience + care with your pry tools! I took a USA ride height, concour quality '76 911S to a, then, highly-regarded alignment shop (in SoCal) to be set to Euro height. Man did they butcher the car! Big indents from tire irons, etc., surrounded where the bushing cap bolts to. I was FURIOUS! One of the worst experiences I had with an outside shop. I guess it could have been worse - the car could have belonged to a customer (it was mine). Use wood blocks, whatever works, to protect the car, and just keep at it - they'll come out. By the way, you don't need to take the two bolts/nuts loose that are shown in your pic. Also, I have to ask - you do have everything disconnected at the wheel end of the radius arm, correct?
Pete
Old 06-23-2006, 01:52 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, everything is disconnected at the wheel end. And I have recorded the radius arm angle for later. I took the bolts out because of a sentence in "101 projects..." that states "on later style cars with the ride height adjustment screws you will need to remove the large adjsustment bolt and the locking bolt as well." Guess I misunderstood. Luckily I had outlined the shape of the short arm onto the radius arm so I can rebolt in the correct position.

Quick Reply: HELP - Radius arm is not coming out!