Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

starting problem. Alarm ignition kill suspected. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:05 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problem. Alarm ignition kill suspected. Need help.

Problem:
Tis is the 3rd time it won't start. No clicking at the starter. When it happend, I had to push the car to start to get home. When I get to the point to turn off the engine and restart it, it's started fine.
The first time it happend around a month or 2 ago, when the car was parked all day in a cool parking lot structure. Second time was 2 days ago, around 1/2 day in the structure. Yesterday, it happen again, was hot 2 mins parked in a sunny opened parking. As you can see, there is no consisten cycle.
Lucky this time I was closed to the lift at the mechanic shop. We lift it up and test started the starter manually, it started fine. I made sure to test started the car with the key right before and after the manual started. Key started didn't work at all while the manual starter test is fine.
And after a while, all in a sudent, the car start fine when they are touching one of the relay. Guys helped me thought they did it.

Suspected:
Of course I think I would go for the cheapest and easiest first, fuse/relay. I checked and touched, and wiggle all the fuses and relay in the board, no help. Second, I would think of the alarm ignition kill component, maybe one of the alarm relay.

Tested:
Today, I got down and found 4, 5 diff relay in there. I don't know which is the relay for the ignition kill so I tested all of them. The way I tested them is (and this is where I have my question if I tested it right). Talking about the ignition kill feature relay, I think if I pull the relay off the wire/circuit, the car won't start. Or if I set off the alarm (sirent), the ignition kill feature won't work. But I fail both; which mean the alarm won. I can't test it. Don't matter which relay I pulled and doesn't matter how I did my test, the car still start fine and the initional kill will work fine.
So maybe the alarm installer didn't install a relay for the ignition kill? Any thought?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:31 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if the starting process (executing the starter to start) from the key to the starter involve with the fuse board? If so, do you know which fuse and relay it goes through?
Thanks a mil.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

don't know but i would start with the starter solenoid..

Quick Reply: starting problem. Alarm ignition kill suspected. Need help.