Relay Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:09 PM
hanzonn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay Confusion

Greetings,

I'm looking to pick up a couple of spare round relays (along with a DME relay) from Pelican Parts. Here's my confusion:

- My '89 3.2 has five red round relays, part # 911-615-108-01. These are for the footwell blower motors, oil cooler fan, cruise control, horn, fog lights, and A/C condensor blower. According to Pelican parts, this part # is for the fuel pump relay. If I'm not mistaken, the fuel pump relay is incorporated into the DME relay?

- Pelican parts lists part # 911-615-109-01 as the correct relay for these components. It is a round black, 5-pin relay that looks similar to the round red ones.

Everything seems to work except for the cruise control. Do I have the wrong relays in there? Or are they the same? My Bentley manual doesn't offer much clarification.

TIA, Greg
Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Greg: The red relays first appeared as a fuel pump relay, they are a heavy duty version of the black look-alike relay, but otherwise the same. You can use a red one in any black relay position, but other than in an emergency you should not use a black one where a red relay is called for.
Pete
Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm resurrecting this thread because - as happens often with this car - I'm confused.

All of the round relays in my '86 front fuse box are black. While my fuel pump seems to be working fine, should I replace it now with a red relay?

Pelican lists the genuine Porsche part as OEM-911-615-108-1.

One more question. Some have said that the fuel pump relay is incorporated in the DME relay under the driver's seat. Are they wrong, or does it too play a role in fuel pump operation?

I swear, this car is giving me an education every day.

One more question...

Quick Reply: Relay Confusion