Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

dual circut master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:07 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual circut master cylinder

I recently purchased a grey 1966 911 for restoration. I would like to put in a dual circut master cylinder for safety reasons, but am not sure where to get one. I believe that brakes were single circut until 68, but starting in 68 they were power brakes. THIS MAY BE INCORRECT.My question is; what year did porsche start doing dual circut? are there dual circut brakes that aren't power? 911 S maybe? Can i use brakes from a later year on this car, and could i use power brakes on this car without a power booster?
also this car has 270+ k. should i replace my torsion bars?
thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

ah, one more question to add; i am looking to put in three point seat belts in the front two seats, has anyone done this? do you know of any kits for this perhaps? any advice is much appreciated
Old 06-18-2006, 01:36 PM
sww914
Instructor

I don't know about the master cylinder, but I know a place that specializes in seat belt retrofits, especially Porsche. It's called PE Products. Their website is www.peparts.com
I think their phone number is (805)528-7888
They used to be primarily a German car shop near me, but now their main business is go westy, a westfalia restoration business.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by randomhick35
I recently purchased a grey 1966 911 for restoration. I would like to put in a dual circut master cylinder for safety reasons, but am not sure where to get one. I believe that brakes were single circut until 68, but starting in 68 they were power brakes. THIS MAY BE INCORRECT.My question is; what year did porsche start doing dual circut? are there dual circut brakes that aren't power? 911 S maybe? Can i use brakes from a later year on this car, and could i use power brakes on this car without a power booster?
also this car has 270+ k. should i replace my torsion bars?
thanks
Hi:

Power brakes didn't arrive until 1976, but those are certainly not needed on these early light cars.

You can install the 19mm '68 dual MC on your '66; all you'll need to do is replumb the hydraulic circuits so the front calipers are fed by the front port on the MC and the rear calipers are fed by the rear port. The reserviour will get plumbed to feed both MC inputs. The '69 one can be used as well; it has the brake warning switch in it so you could either plug that hole in the MC or install the later warning light. Personally, I'd use the '68 one.

As long as your torsion bars do not have any nicks or rub marks on the factory paint, they will be fine.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:01 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

Thanks all, very helpful!

Quick Reply: dual circut master cylinder