AUTO-X TIRES?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUTO-X TIRES?

Looking for some advice on what brand/model tire to go with for my 84' euro
cab for light street/ mostly auto-x use. I've got 16" fuchs rims and also what I believe are 17" "cup" knock offs for the car...the courses are short so I would assume I want more torque to get off the corners than speed...mostly second gear the whole time. Any advice from you seasoned vets would be nice.
Thanks in advance; Russ
Old 06-14-2006, 12:47 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyo RA-1
Old 06-14-2006, 04:21 AM
vennom53
4th Gear

you should check out the falken RT-615's they have near R-compound grip and are extreamly affordable. You really cant go wrong with them
Old 06-14-2006, 04:37 AM
vennom53
4th Gear

wow sry, i was multitasking. The tires you want are the Falken Azenis(sp?) 615's.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

For straight, dedicated Autocross, consider something softer, like the Hoosiers or the Yokohama R/S-compounds. Most of the tires like RA-1's & Victoracers are great for road course, but aren't quite up to optimal temp until you're just about or are done with the course with autocross. With the group I sometimes autocross with, the course is about 2 miles long with about 70 turns - regular track tires are up to temp by the end of those runs. Most parking lot autocrosses are much shorter than this, from what I'm told.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm#SPORTS CAR DOT RADIAL (A3S04 &R3S04)
(all in A (autocross) & R(road course) unless otherwise flagged)

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/AO32Rbltn.pdf
(2nd pg has the breakdown of H (hard) & S (soft) compound sizes available)

The RT-615, if it's anything like the Azenis Sports I used to have, is a great dry weather tire, super-sticky as far as street tires go. If you NEED a "street" tire, these are your choice. If you want a dedicated course-only tire & are allowed R-compounds, that's the way to go. The Azenis was a fantastic tire for high-power street use, providing it was dry. NOT for wet climates though. I was running 245/45-17's all the way around on my 500hp FWD Taurus SHO with them, FWIW.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:02 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
For straight, dedicated Autocross, consider something softer, like the Hoosiers or the Yokohama R/S-compounds. Most of the tires like RA-1's & Victoracers are great for road course, but aren't quite up to optimal temp until you're just about or are done with the course with autocross. With the group I sometimes autocross with, the course is about 2 miles long with about 70 turns - regular track tires are up to temp by the end of those runs. Most parking lot autocrosses are much shorter than this, from what I'm told.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm#SPORTS CAR DOT RADIAL (A3S04 &R3S04)
(all in A (autocross) & R(road course) unless otherwise flagged)

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/AO32Rbltn.pdf
(2nd pg has the breakdown of H (hard) & S (soft) compound sizes available)

The RT-615, if it's anything like the Azenis Sports I used to have, is a great dry weather tire, super-sticky as far as street tires go. If you NEED a "street" tire, these are your choice. If you want a dedicated course-only tire & are allowed R-compounds, that's the way to go. The Azenis was a fantastic tire for high-power street use, providing it was dry. NOT for wet climates though. I was running 245/45-17's all the way around on my 500hp FWD Taurus SHO with them, FWIW.
He did mention that this was also a street tire (albeit more autox use). The Hoosier A6 (successor of the A3S05) and the Kumho V710 are too aggressive for street use. They were quickly, and cycle out quickly as well. A couple of runs to the grocery store or out to dinner and they will be close to useless for autox. I agree they are better if you can have them as a second set, single purpose tire.

The Yokos are crap for autox...soft or hard compound.

If you are going street tires, I'd suggest Michelin PS2s, Falken Azenis, or Kumho MXs.

I'd seriously stress looking at the Toyo RA-1, though. They are grippy when cold, unlike most road racing tires like the Michelin PSC, stable when hot (great for DE), great in the rain, decent in cold temps (I used mine all winter on my SC). They last darned near forever. It is almost absurd how good those tires are as an all-around choice. You just put them on, and do whatever you want...drive to work, vacations, track days, autoxs, whatever. I love their progressive nature...almost like a very grippy street tire. They are my "street tire," and then I run V710s for serious competition (and I change those at the event...no street use).
Old 06-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a set of the 615's and they feel great on the street, but i haven't gotten a chance to autox them yet.

Quick Reply: AUTO-X TIRES?