Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Troubleshooting help needed/No spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Troubleshooting help needed/No spark

I posted a few days ago that while driving my 930 in hot weather in stop and go traffic, it suddenly died at a light. Although the engine did get hot from the stop and go...it never went into the red on any gauges, and there was never any sort of hot smell. It was running great up to that point, and without warning just died. Attempts to start it resulted in several loud backfires, a puff of white smoke or some sort of white cloud from the rear vents, then nothing....I tried to start it several times and it sputtered then went totally dead and no spark. We've gone in and changed out the coil to make sure it's not a faulty coil. The coil works, but it doesn't seem to be getting spark from whatever it upstream from the coil....you can tell I'm not very adept at this.

Can any of you give me a couple of things to go look at? I've already checked out the fuel pumps..they both work...no blown fuses...plenty of gas in the tank. Are there some modules that I should be looking at?

Chuck
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Chuck:

Sounds like you have a faulty CD box (ignition). With the key on, do you hear a slight "whining" sound at the left side of the engine compartment?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Hi Steve...thanx for the response...no...insofar as a noise goes, the only thing I can hear is what I surmise is the fuel pumps when I turn on the key. From what I've been able to read doing searches on Rennlist and other forums...it seems to point back to the box you mentioned. From what I understand, there are two ways to go...an OEM stock box or an aftermarket performance one that's a bit cheaper. What are your feelings about those two options? Chuck
Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't assume a bad CDI unit because of no spark or because you don't hear
a buzzing sound. You need to check that:

1. The CDI has power (+12 volts).
2. The CDI is Bosch unit which will make a buzzing sound, others,
e.g. PermaTune, won't.
3. The CDI has a good ground.
4. The CDI has a good pickup signal from the distributor.
5. The coil is O.K.
6. The run-after relay is O.K.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Thank you to all of you who responded to this and to the 930 forum with suggestions and input regarding the sudden death of my newly purchased '87 930. Many of you correctly focused on the CDI box (thanks for your checklist Loren) The mechanic replaced it and the car is running nicely. I have also received many helpful suggestions regarding the overboost, fuses, relays, and a host of other important facts. This is a case in point for the value of this forum. There's a lot of hands-on experience here that's very helpful and informative to newbies like myself. I appreciate your input and help. chuck

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting help needed/No spark