Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing Crankshaft seal (flywheel seal)?..thanks Pete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Crankshaft seal (flywheel seal)?..thanks Pete!

I'm replacing my clutch, and I'd like to replace my crankshaft seal behind the flywheel. I'm not having any luck...everytime I try to use a seal puller bits of rubber just pull off...I'm concerned about using too much force etc...since I do not want to mar any of the surrounding surfaces.

Is there any metal in the seal itself? What's the best way to get it off without damaging anything? I've done lot's of searches to no avail...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Slotcar; 06-03-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Drive a flat-bladed screwdriver straight down into the outer surface of the seal using the notch as a guide. The outer lip of the seal is coated metal and will bend nicely. When you have sufficient space slide the screwdriver into the gap and push up with the blade tip against the seal. The seal will pop out. It's easy to tear up the new seal during installation - use a burr-quick or some other like tool to clean up the chamfer on the outside surface of the crankcase so you won't have any imperfections to "grab" the new seal.

FYI: It looks like the old seal has not been leaking - I admire your thoroughness in wanting to replace it!
Pete
Old 06-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, it's out...thanks for the direction! A flat bladed screwdriver in that notch at a 45 degree angle worked perfect. I do have a small bur...at about 7 Oclock. It happened when my screw driver slipped off the fulcrum I was trying to use in my previous attempts (right on that outter chamfer surfurace). Doesn't appear to be to bad, but I will debur that area. Do you think this will pose an issue? Do you recommend any sealants (anaerobic, lithium grease etc..) on that outter edge of the seal before seating?
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I use a very thin layer of white grease around the outside circumference, AND a dab of it on the sealing surface also. The inner dab will prevent the seal from getting burned on start up, the outer will simply aid installation.
Pete
Old 06-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Also, the inner edge of the notch has a tendency to "grab" the new seal, sometimes the case is OK, more often a clean up of the notch can be helpful...
Pete

Quick Reply: Removing Crankshaft seal (flywheel seal)?..thanks Pete!