Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Multi-DIY Projects Tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 AM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Multi-DIY Projects Tips

The '87 needs to have the brake fluid replaced, and the rotors are worn and the e-brake is at its limits etc. I also have new oil lines that need to go on, and haven't been able to get the old ones off the thermostat with heat and PB Blaster. The P-dealer in Anchorage wants a cool K just for labor to do the basics. I decided to bite the bullet and make my own brake bleeder per Pelican Parts, and do a partial caliper rebuild, replace rotors, pads, e-brake shoes and cables. I heard that some mechanics just cut the old oil line nuts off with a dremel tool, so thought I might try that. I may decide to put Bilstein HD's and turbo tie rod ends on it also, since I discovered there's a shop locally that can align it. Finally, my sound pad is toast and I may just put a new one in despite the engine being in place. Any tips or feedback from those of you with skinned knuckles would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm also going to adjust the valves. And I discovered so, so late that the left front fender is unoriginal. At any rate, after getting the last of my list done, I'm going to offer it for sale, and if no one bites I may drive Route 66 with my wife next year.
Dennis
Old 06-01-2006, 07:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

sound pad is easy, shocks and tie rod ends pretty easy, rotors easy once you get the hub off and plan on repacking wheel bearings. never done oil lines.

I would suggest doing a search on each of these projects as james and myself have done just about all these and there are some good info points here.

Good luck and you can always post back as you start each project.

Quick Reply: Multi-DIY Projects Tips