Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Salvage titles issued for stolen cars in NY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:01 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Salvage titles issued for stolen cars in NY?

I'm looking at buying a car from a dealer but the CARFAX says the car was stolen AND then issued a salvage title in 1999 and 2000, respectivley.

The dealer insists the salvage title is normal procedure for recovered vehicles in NY and that it is not an indication of a any serious damage or repair.

Can I trust this dealer, or should I walk? At least I got them to put this in writing in case I need to take them to court. Now I'm asking them to help me find a copy of the NY title policy describing this circumstance.

Any advice?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

I found this listed on a NY web site, but does a salvage title always decrease a car's resale value? No major collision or damage repairs are listed on the title history, just the theft recovery and resultant 'salvage' title.

"A salvage vehicle that is recovered after a theft or rebuilt after the damage must be examined by the DMV before the DMV can issue a new title certificate or registration."

Excerpted from: http://www.givecars.com/title/title-...k-codes.html#1

By the way, they gave me a copy of the current title, which appears "clean" and does not list any of this info found by the CARFAX.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't bother looking at a car with a salvage title unless it's a very,very good deal.

I've heard that it can decrease the value by 30 to 40 percent.
Some insurance companies will not provide full coverage.
It will also be a greater hassle if you need to sell the car in the future.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:11 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Also, think of the scene with the Ferrari from "Ferris Bueller's day off" when the garage attendants took it for a joyride.

You don't know how the stolen car was treated before it was recovered.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
quattrorunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a car stolen and didn't claim it to the insurance company cause I didn't want to have the title marked or any otherissues. It wasn't damaged, just made Gheto fabulous. I just repainted it and replaced all the rubber and trim that was made "fabulous" as well myself and now I don't need to worry about that. It is not a good thing to have a salvage title. You will enjoy the car if it's a good car, but when it's time to sell, you will need to sell it for less unless you get lucky.
Good luck. What kind car is it? Maybe you could keep looking?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:04 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

FYI (and not advocating this...) but some states do not issue salvage titles again when registered in that state with a former other state's salvage title. Also, some (like RI) do not issue titles AT ALL, even if you WANT one, for a vehicle over 10 years old, just a statement that the policy is "no titles issued..." and a letter confirming last registered owner, etc.

When selling then to someone out of state, the new state's DMV will usually issue a new title there, and it's "washed" of the Salvage status. My old Monte Carlo was a salvage car, and had electrical gremlins from the collision till the day I sold her. She also came up with a normal title (as it was <10 years old at time of title in RI), though she had a MA salvage title.

When I sold my '95 SHO last year, I hit the 10 year mark, and they would not issue the title upon payoff of the note when I went to sell to someone out of state. TN accepted the documents from RI & issued the new owner a new one from what I'm told.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

I think it really depends on your intended use. For example, this car could be a great base to build a race car on. Also, with reagrds to selling it for a lower price when you grow tired of it remembet that you will have paid a lower price upfront as well. That said, I would steer clear of anything with a salvage title other than to build a race car.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:46 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Just as NothingNC said, unless you can get a very good deal. I would add some more.
... and unless you the car is in wonderful condition. Get someone to check it through out for you.
Cars can be salvage by stolen, accident, flood, etc.
The best case is if the car is stolen and stripped several major parts such as an engine, and/or the tranny, etc. Ins. company turned it into a salvage. Someone bought it an restored it. Nothing is missing. Frame is in perfect shape. I would buy it.
Another thing to look at a salvage by stolen is when did it get stolen, and when someone bought it and registered it after stolen. If that time is 5-10 years ago, most of the problems should be fixed/repared already. We are talking about 911. Most people buy a 911 because they love it, therefore they expect to make the car drives better. They would fix any problem they can find in a year, I would say.
Good luck.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:24 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of Boxsters out there. What makes this one worth pursuing to you?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Scott5
Instructor

I purchased a car with a salvage title. It was claimed to be the result of a theft as in your case. I ran a carfax prior to buying and the report disclosed that before being retitled, the car failed two inspection attempts over a period of a couple months. Obviously, something happened to the car after the theft (it appeared to have been missing for over a year) which effected its ability to get inspected after recovery.

I had the frame inspected by a expert (he found no evidence of a colision or respray) and went ahead with purchase. I plan to keep the car for awhile so reselling wasn't a major concern. In the end, I got such a good deal that I felt it was worth the risk.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera

When selling then to someone out of state, the new state's DMV will usually issue a new title there, and it's "washed" of the Salvage status. My old Monte Carlo was a salvage car, and had electrical gremlins from the collision till the day I sold her. She also came up with a normal title (as it was <10 years old at time of title in RI), though she had a MA salvage title.
Even if the title were washed, the carfax would or should still show it (thank god, for all of us that buy used cars). Carfax is a good thing (except for a seller trying to sell a salvage car )
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Carfax is a great weapon for the shopper but you can not trust that title is perfectly clean just because Carfax doesn't show something. They rely on recieving data and if they don't get something then they don't about it.

I think a car can be "salvage" from a theft if enough of the car is stripped before it is recovered to cost more to re-equip then it costs to replace. On a 911 parts can be so expensive that this can happen easily. So while there may have been no damage other than parts stripping you really can't know and reselling a salvage car will always be a problem.

Quick Reply: Salvage titles issued for stolen cars in NY?