Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Homologation '76 Carrera 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:13 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Here's a very interesting and detailed thread that will educate more than a few people about some special 1976 Carreras that aren't very well known...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...7-carrera.html
Old 12-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jochen
good morning,

can anybody tell me some more information about my
porsche targa carrera 2.7 rs engine from 1976
chassis 9116619030
engine6668038

how many piece are made
what was the reason

kindly regards,
Jochen
Hi Jochen,

Look at this thread on the Early S board, especially post #10. The poster, xenifizi has one these '76 Carrera Targas. I have his direct email if you would like to contact him directly.
http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=Gendarmerie
Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 AM
GuyC3
7th Gear

There is # 15 registered on this site by Johan (xenifizi?) in Belgium

http://sigierca.cluster010.ovh.net/froggy/aindex.html

#26 was for sale in France last year, Jochen has #30 and there is the D'Ieteren one so it seams at least four of the twenty remain.

Guy
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
The 74-77 Carrera's built the type 911/83 motors are not RS's. They are great cars however and until about 5 years ago were fairly inexpensive. They were not built to homologate anything but to consume an existing stock of 911/83 engines. There is a lot in that wikipedia post that is not correct.
Phil
Hi Phil,

Your comment about homologation holds true for the '74 and '75 Carrera 2,7 cars but is incorrect about the '76 Carrera 2,7 coupes built. These 113 coupes were built late in the '76 model year for homologation purposes and these cars were homologated as an RS model in CH and Germany.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I am in the process of restoring a #'s matching, certified example at CPR. It's Conti Orange with Black/Tan interior. They also have a brown one restored by Porsche for sale. These have VIN#'s that precede the RSR of that year and they are mentioned in The Porsche Book (Boshen/Barth), the bible of Porsche classics.

Many confuse these with 2.7 Carreras of the time... that 2.7L had a different fuel injection system. The 76 RS' had the original MFI of the 73 RS' to allow more modification for racing. And they featured the same 73 RS fenders, had cage base-plates welded from factory, RS brakes and lightweight suspension. The standard 2.7 Carreras did no have a wing. The 76 RS had a whale tail wing.

See CPR's example here:
http://www.caporsche.net/images/cars...pe/images.html

IMO, these are some of the rarest road-going 911's and should be worth close to the 73 RS' as more collectors learn of these cars. Porsche's that are rare are valuable and they made 1,500 73 RS' and only 120 76 RS'.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM
GuyC3
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I am in the process of restoring a #'s matching, certified example at CPR. It's Conti Orange with Black/Tan interior. They also have a brown one restored by Porsche for sale. These have VIN#'s that precede the RSR of that year and they are mentioned in The Porsche Book (Boshen/Barth), the bible of Porsche classics.

Many confuse these with 2.7 Carreras of the time... that 2.7L had a different fuel injection system. The 76 RS' had the original MFI of the 73 RS' to allow more modification for racing. And they featured the same 73 RS fenders, had cage base-plates welded from factory, RS brakes and lightweight suspension. The standard 2.7 Carreras did no have a wing. The 76 RS had a whale tail wing.

See CPR's example here:
http://www.caporsche.net/images/cars...pe/images.html

IMO, these are some of the rarest road-going 911's and should be worth close to the 73 RS' as more collectors learn of these cars. Porsche's that are rare are valuable and they made 1,500 73 RS' and only 120 76 RS'.
Hi Dude,

There were in fact only 113 examples made as I had it confirmed by the factory that chassis numbers 1-10 were not used. I was looking to buy one in Holland three years ago but missed out and ended up with a '74 Euro Carrera instead which I am restoring. The '76 Carrera 2.7 RS MFI is identical to the '74 and '75 Euro Carreras apart from the galvanised chassis, a 915/43 transmission with LSD instead of the 915/06 with the option of LSD, electric windows as an option wheras they are standard on '74 and '75 cars and the electric drivers flag mirror although this did appear on a few of the late '75 cars as well. Of the examples I have seen only half seem to have the rear whale tail and half don't and the factory doesn't have any of them listed with the spoiler option M473, so bit of an unanswered point there I think. There were 1026 '74 and 508 '75 Euro Carreras produced so even if these were included in the total production it would still only be the same number as the '73RS. The '76 was however as Brian says homologated as an RS and produced as a 'special model' so I think it does command a premium price wise and they don't normally appear to hang around when they come up for sale. You certainly have a very desirable car there, good luck with the resto and I look forward to seeing some photographs.

Guy
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GuyC3
Hi Dude,

There were in fact only 113 examples made as I had it confirmed by the factory that chassis numbers 1-10 were not used. I was looking to buy one in Holland three years ago but missed out and ended up with a '74 Euro Carrera instead which I am restoring. The '76 Carrera 2.7 RS MFI is identical to the '74 and '75 Euro Carreras apart from the galvanised chassis, a 915/43 transmission with LSD instead of the 915/06 with the option of LSD, electric windows as an option wheras they are standard on '74 and '75 cars and the electric drivers flag mirror although this did appear on a few of the late '75 cars as well. Of the examples I have seen only half seem to have the rear whale tail and half don't and the factory doesn't have any of them listed with the spoiler option M473, so bit of an unanswered point there I think. There were 1026 '74 and 508 '75 Euro Carreras produced so even if these were included in the total production it would still only be the same number as the '73RS. The '76 was however as Brian says homologated as an RS and produced as a 'special model' so I think it does command a premium price wise and they don't normally appear to hang around when they come up for sale. You certainly have a very desirable car there, good luck with the resto and I look forward to seeing some photographs.

Guy
Thank you Guy. I am very excited about it. My plan is to keep her as a sunday driver and take it to Porsche events, etc. I simply love these cars. Modern cars don't have the same soul and spirit. I will post a full thread with photos of the progress; so stay tuned! Cheers - Laguna_Dude
Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Yes, I have known of the brown Carrera for a number of years. Nice looking color combo, especially the seat inserts. Congrates on owning and restoring an orange model. Great color, one of the best IMHO.

I too would enjoy seeing photos of your Carrera. What # do you have? Like Guy, I have seen several cars over the years without rear spoilers so not all had them from new. I am curious about your comment about the MFI. How is it different from the '74 and '75 cars?

As to value, I too think they should and will have a premium over the '74-75 cars, but disagree that they will approach the '73 Carreras. I could be wrong though so we shall see.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:46 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Yes, I have known of the brown Carrera for a number of years. Nice looking color combo, especially the seat inserts. Congrates on owning and restoring an orange model. Great color, one of the best IMHO.

I too would enjoy seeing photos of your Carrera. What # do you have? Like Guy, I have seen several cars over the years without rear spoilers so not all had them from new. I am curious about your comment about the MFI. How is it different from the '74 and '75 cars?

As to value, I too think they should and will have a premium over the '74-75 cars, but disagree that they will approach the '73 Carreras. I could be wrong though so we shall see.
Hey Brian. It's #33 (9116609033). In '76, the only 2.7 was the standard 911, which featured a Bosh K-Jetronic injector and only produced 165bhp and the Carrera was a 3.0L. I was not referring to other years, but only '76. The '73-75 Carreras had the same MFI system. I feel that for Porsche to make 113 or so special-order cars to satisfy racer demand makes it a very special model indeed and only time will tell what the value becomes. IMO, rarity is the #1 driver of appreciation in Porsches. And the '76 is much more rare, then even the coveted '73.... it's just doesn't have the same cult status, as no one really knows about them. I am not too concerned about it's value for now. I am exited about owing and driving it... keeping for a long time. I will post photos soon... I am due for an update from CPR. Thanks - Laguna_Dude
Old 12-31-2011, 09:07 AM
GuyC3
7th Gear

Hi Dude,

California seams to be bit of a hot spot for these cars, #13 is in Los Angeles, #50 is also being restored (San Diego?) as well as the brown one #43 that you posted.

I note in another post you mention welded in plates for a roll cage which I believe Brian has also mentioned for these cars, have you uncovered these on yours?

A few other small differences between the '76 and the '74/'75 MFI are an aluminium front crossmember instead of steel, cast iron 'A' front brakes instead of aluminium 'S', adjustable rear spring plates, 6 bolt CV joints instead of 4 and a permatune CDI box.

Guy
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Hi Dude,

California seams to be bit of a hot spot for these cars, #13 is in Los Angeles, #50 is also being restored (San Diego?) as well as the brown one #43 that you posted.

I note in another post you mention welded in plates for a roll cage which I believe Brian has also mentioned for these cars, have you uncovered these on yours?

A few other small differences between the '76 and the '74/'75 MFI are an aluminium front crossmember instead of steel, cast iron 'A' front brakes instead of aluminium 'S', adjustable rear spring plates, 6 bolt CV joints instead of 4 and a permatune CDI box.

Guy
I agree. I think So Cal is one of Porsche's single largest markets... they are a dime a dozen here. I will see it the the plates are really there and take some photos when I see the car again; which should be soon.

As for my car; apparently it was owned since new by a former Air Force pilot that was stationed in Germany at the time and he brought it with him to CA. It has no rust and has never been in an accident. However, it currently sports an awful candy-apple red paint job, but the interior is 100% original and is a beautiful mix of black and tan. One interesting note, is that the COA does not mention A/C, but my car has factory A/C and also has the front/rear spoiler package too, which also isn't on the COA. Seems COA is only good for matching #'s, but not options on these cars.

Cheers,
Laguna_Dude
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Guy
Guy,

Very interesting. I was not aware of any of these differences. I wonder why the brakes were not AL. Seems strange to me. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Guy,

Very interesting. I was not aware of any of these differences. I wonder why the brakes were not AL. Seems strange to me. Thanks.
From my understanding the 3.0L Carrera had the Type A, while the Turbo had the Type S calipers... I assume this was because for standard production, the Turbo was now the flagship car vs the 3.0L Carrera. From talking with CPR, these have the same calipers found on the 73 RS. They also note that in the description of the one they have for sale (see link below). It seems all the reference books have a lot of detail on the Carrera's of 73-77, but not specific to these 118 special-order cars. When I check on the car, I am going to verify what calipers these cars really came with. From my understanding, these were not simply a last production run of a '75 Carrera in '76... But that they were special order cars intended for racing, as by 76, Porsche had moved on the Bosch Injection system in all the cars and the customer racing teams wanted the flexibility of the MFI.

So the key variables I want to confirm are:
1.) RS fenders (visually they look like they are)?
2.) RS brakes (vs. Cast Iron Type A)?
3.) Factory-installed cage mounting plates?

Here's the link to the one CPR has for sale noting all these extras that make it an "RS"... I have no reason to doubt CPR, as the owner, Brian, has first hand knowledge, as he worked in the Porsche factory during the 70's: http://www.caporsche.net/images/cars...pe/images.html
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
GuyC3
7th Gear

Brian, Dude,

Most of the differences were just later production parts but as you say the aluminium calipers were still being used on the Turbo 3.0 I haven't got any photos of the calipers on #43 at CPR but all the photos of other cars I have seen have the A type.

As for the COA it only shows the options that were not standard eg the LSD is not listed. I would have thought A/C would be though although I know of one with a sunroof which is not shown on the COA. Another difference with the '76 cars is that chrome look trim was standard with black an option rather than the other way around for the '74 & '75 cars and indead the Carrera 3.0 at the time.

The RS fenders are another interesting point as I believe (and Brian will be able to confirm) that the '73 had a tapered lip being thicker at the top. The has been some discussion that this continued for the '74 Carreras or even '75 but the Carrera 3 has the near equal lip alll the way around like the SC. I would have thought the '76 C2.7 would have had these same fenders fitted down the production line.

The cars were definitely a special series and all produced near the end of the '76 model year nearly a year after the '75 Carrera 2.7 had been out of production. Supposedly they were supplied in Germany and Switzerland although ones I have seen details on have all been supplied by German dealers.

Guy
Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Guy,

I actually have never seen one of these Carreras in person so I am not really sure about which flairs these came with originally. Based on photos I have seen I think they seem to resembled RS flairs but I'm not a 100% on that.

Here is a link to a RHD car, #107. Have you seen this one before? It was the subject of a thread on RL many years ago. The blog writer mentions he is not sure why the rear badge is missing, but I remember that the original thread mentioned it was missing because the rear lid was damaged by something heavy falling on it. The repair was done but the owner at the time didn't bother to put the Carrera badge back on.

http://motoring-projects.blogspot.co...20carrera%20rs

Quick Reply: Homologation '76 Carrera 2.7