Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Seat removal -1975 911 - recaros STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Chad M 11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Seat removal -1975 911 - recaros STUCK

I have just started striping down my 75 911 for restoration. Last night I decided to take the Recaros out. I intended to list them on Ebay but they have proven to like their current position in my car. I CANT GET THEM OUT! Specifically, I can't get to the 4 bolts that mount the seat track to the car due to the corners of the seats. Moreover, the track itself is too narrow to accommodate a socket of any size. I really dont want to muscle the seats because I intend to auction them.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experience I would appreciate any help. -----I feel like any idiot & I am sure these bolts are laughing at me.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2003, 04:03 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
remove the front bolts first, then slide the seat all the way forward after they are removed, exposing the rear bolts for removal

a standard 10mm or 11mm (can't remember which) 1/4" drive socket should do the job.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:28 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Just did this last night-Yes; slide the seat the whole way back- take out the front bolts. Then slide it the whole way forward- take out the rears. The trick is to use a thin wall, deep drive socket (which I just happened to have). I think it was 8mm. It just barely fits into the rails. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:38 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aeshultz, when you go back together with the seats, I recommend you get new bolts with allen wrench heads. Then you can use a Allen wrench socket to remove them. I bought my socket at Sears for $6 bucks. I don't think the hex head bolts you are removing are factory. Someone may have put them on when they couldn't get the originals. Just my suggetion for the future.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Chad M 11
Advanced

Thanks for the replies BUT they are still stuck. There are holes just in front of each bolt (that would be accessible)which leads me to believe that these Recaros are not mounted at the factory points. I slid the drivers seat all the way forward and managed to get a socket on the rear bolts so I have two out. However there is no access to all four on the passenger side and the front two on the drivers. I don't know how they got them in there. There is less than an inch between the bottom of the seat and the bolt and they are farther back in the track than the stock holes. My wife and I are amazed that anyone could get in there to tighten them. I think the only thing left is to attempt to get a Dremel tool slid in there and cut off the heads (???)

It is extremely annoying considering it should be so easy.

Quick Reply: Seat removal -1975 911 - recaros STUCK