Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thinking about selling my 911??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it! It's a great family car! See that green '73 to the left that I've had for 18 years, pre-marriage? Those back seats have worked perfectly for my kids. It's only now that my 12 year old is starting to complain about her head hitting the rear window (she now sits in front). 3 kids. 12 years. No issues. Sell? Why?

Jay
Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got 3 kids and a lovely wife of 8 years. I've threatened to sell my 964 for years, but my wife continuously talks me out of it. She knows how much that car means to me.

So, I went and bought another 911, this time an '84. I pile the kids in the back, take my daughter to school, go grocery shopping in it, leave it in the Wal-mart parking lot (but way in the back away from everyone else), drive it to work, take it to PCA events, take my kids to a movie in it, get 22-26 mpg with it, blah blah blah. It's more of a family car than you think.

Seriously, if you have to sell the car because you feel guilty or your future wife feels you should, then you are getting married to the wrong woman.

Keep the d@mn car!

Best to you,

Jay
Old 06-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Miguel
Pro

Look, I m waiting my 6th child! Have two p cars ( old air cooleds ) My wife has a Renault Espace. All you need.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:38 AM
sww914
Instructor

Nearly any other car that you buy to replace it will depreciate at a ridiculous rate. A brand new Taurus will be worth 15% what you paid for it in 7 years. Your Porsche will be worth virtually the same as it is now in 7 years. For $16,000, you can get a nearly new Honda, or a nice minivan a couple of years old, and you'll have $25.00 oil changes instead of $100.00 oil changes, but you'll lose way more money later.
Selling the car is not the right thing to do financially if you will have to replace it with something else.
Don't feel guilty because you have something nice. Your wife can drive the minivan, you can drive the Porsche.
Recently after a school function, I was chatting with 2 other fathers. They were expounding the various merits of their new minivans, Honda & Toyota, back and forth. After it went on for awhile, they asked me what I drove, and I pointed to our WRX sitting nearby. They both said "oh S--t!" and the look in their eyes was priceless. They asked what other cars I had, and I said a Porsche racecar and a truck to tow it with, and their jaws dropped. At that moment, you can bet I had no regrets about my vehicle decisions, but I did feel bad for those guys. But they probably have nicer kitchen cabinets than I do.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 AM
morganb
Instructor

My Porches have been cheap to own. I can't imagine getting a new car and selling it in 4 years for 50% or less of the new car price. Your Porsche will not do that and if you can restrain yourself from modifications then monthly running cost will be reasonable. Both mine have been second cars drawn into service when the family car is in for service.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my 911??