Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project idea question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:28 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey, that's my car.

You've got lots of options, obviously. But in your shoes, here's what I'd do.

First, locate a no-engine roller. Ideally, get a post-1977 tub that's either already a Turbo, or has had a well-done steel conversion to Turbo look. If the only car you can get has an engine in it, already, then sell the engine to defer the cost of the project. Backdate the tub to RSR look with fiberglass hood and front and rear bumpers. You'll need to do some minor body work on the front fenders to adapt for the old-style front signal lights. But you can build an RSR look tub for reasonable money this way, and it won't be as likely to rust as the real (mostly non-galvanized) thing.

Then, get a 1992-1995 3.6 motor (1996-1998 will work, too, but the OBDII workarounds are more complicated). With nothing but a chip and exhaust change, you'll hit your horsepower target. As a bonus, you won't be stressing the heck out of a low-displacement motor. If period charm or race classification are important to you, then a low-displacement, highly-stressed motor might make more sense. If low end grunt and Camry-like reliability are important, then it's hard to beat Porsche's DME/EFI-out-of-the-box, big-displacement solution.

Run an 8:31 (1978 and later) transaxle. Go through the suspension with the usual goodies. Keep the weight of the finished car under 2300 pounds. You will be very surprised at how fast this kind of car is by any real-world measure other than 1/4 mile runs (and at less than 4.5 seconds to 60, a 3.6 swap is not really a disappointment in that department either).
Old 05-21-2006, 06:49 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy,
believe me, i'm not looking for a "free-info-hotline" which is why i'm shying away from calling anyone to inquire about info and why i'm posting on here. i've done more than a few searches, got a few links to various setups based off the info i have received in here. i'm just not going to waste a Professional's time when i don't even know which direction i should go, let alone own the car yet!
I do not like it when i have to answer questions about a setup over the phone when i'm not getting a sale out of it either, but i'm more than happy to add my 2-bits to a forum or answer a PM or email. So i know what you mean.

even though i may not have made it sound like it, i plan on doing this build in stages so i can better understand how each change i make effects the car. Aside from the major changes like the engine and Trans go, i'll probably do a couple of changes at a time that hopefully will compliment each other. not to say i wont buy large amounts of parts at one time, i just will make small changes to learn as much as possible. With my Focus i have tried countless different setups from suspension to brakes to Engine before settling on my final choice. a costly venture but a useful one to learn what works and what doesn't. but then again, $300 for a header for a focus is much easier and cheaper to justify replacing with something different than $1000 for a header for a Porsche!

Jack,
Amazing car!
There are few Porsche's that have caught my eye so sharply as yours!
good info on the RSR build option, never thought of doing it that way...
a chip and exhaust(no headers) will get me to 250rwhp on a 3.6? that's not bad at all, for a reliable setup. How would this 8:31 and 3.6 setup work with a lighter flywheel?
i'm going to search for weigh reduction to see how much needs to be removed and where to get under 2300lbs.

thanks again guys, great info and very helpful!
I love the way this thread is evolving!

Mitch
Old 05-21-2006, 06:57 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks, Mitch. By exhaust, I mean headers and a muffler. But there are $300 solutions to that in the 911 world, too. Namely, 993 factory short-pipe headers (which include heat, and can be bought used for about $250 if they don't come with your motor), and an $80 Flowmaster muffler.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i was hoping to build an exhaust for the car myself, i just built one for our 930 turbo to get it thru emissions...

I was thinking about building a dual cross over exhaust with a couple of Magnaflow resonators with this car. would you suggest 2", 2.25" or 2.5" for the dual setup?

i'm not to worried about heat, that was one of the area's i expected to delete with this car no matter what, it's mostly going to be driven in the summer. even so, i've used a rag to defrost more than a few cars! but would going with the 993 short-pipe headers gain me enough to make them a worthwhile option over an aftermarket setup? i could always build my own headers, would just need to locate a source for flanges or i get my own made if nothing can be sourced. 1/2" laser cut flanges would be ideal but also very exensive when made in small batches...

Thanks again for all the info!

Quick Reply: Project idea question....