Sansor so how are things going ?
are you "home and cooled out" ?

Is the car running as it should now ?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:39 PM
sansor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ice:
I fly to Pennsylvania to get the car on Tuesday and drive it back to Maine (400miles). I thought of having it shipped but that was a lot of $$. I figured that fixing this oil issue should make the car fine again, so why not drive it. I am still very nervous that something else will happen on the trip! I think if I don't drive it, I will always think of the car as being fragile and not reliable. I don't want that - I want to learn to work on it like all of you on the list do - and I want to drive it lots! Everyone uses the term bullet-proof when they talk about the 911SC engine - I just need to have my faith restored after my very crazy initial experience with my car! Thanks for your help all along the journey.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:38 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Build a Travel kit

Congratulations on getting your car back. Don't worry about the trip. I'm sure they will test it well before they release it to you. I know you've been focusing on oil issues but there are some basic tools and parts you need to keep in the car especially when you travel. Most service stations along the way don't even know where the engine is located so you need to be somewhat self sufficient.

I'm not sure if you can take all these on the plane. They may have to be in checked luggage.

1) For tires -

Air pump, 1/2" Ratchet
6" extension for 1/2" ratchet, 19mm lug nut socket

2) For engine

Fan Belt, Fan pulley removal tool, 10mm socket to loosen AC belt (or a knife to just cut the AC belt in an emergency) You won't have AC but you can put the fan belt on without loosening the AC mounting bolts, 22mm socket for pulley nut (other members please confirm size, my car is up on a lift at the time), extra quart of oil (if you dare)

Electrical

Extra fuses, Extra fuel pump relay (red), you can substitute one of the black relays in a pinch

Other

Electrical tape
Screw Driver (flat and Phillips)
Duct tape

Look closely at the wheel nuts to make sure there is no lock nut on them. Some are hard to see. One type uses a flat piece underneath the fake lug nut. You can see small holes for the prongs. The other looks just like a standard lug but is slightly different so a socket will not fit. It wouldn't hurt if you're not sure to try the socket on all five lugs on each tire. If there is a wheel lock make sure you get the key.

If the red alternator charge light comes on pull over in a safe location. This usually indicates the alternator belt broke. If oil pressure light comes on pull over. Dependent on the outside temperature, it's not unusual for this light to come on at idle. As long as it goes off when on the throttle, you're ok. Also monitor the oil pressure more so than the level indicator. I expect it to be around 3 bar at cruise speed.

No need to tell you to check the oil level before leaving. Do it with the engine running, up to temperature and on a flat surface. Lastly, confirm the alternator/fan belt is tensioned correctly before you leave. A finger test is sufficient. Check for 1/4" to 1/2" deflection to insure no slippage.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

My travel kit consistes of factory tool kit ( I just saw Tony G is selling one if you don't have one )
red and black relay, fuses,belt, disposable plastic gloves, compresor, small mag light, quart of oil, jack. band aids. 20.00 bill and I keep my old clutch cable under the carpet.

The other thing I did right after getting my car was change my fan belt and took my wheel off and on with only what i had in the car.. The time tofigure if this can be done is NOT at the side of the road at night. If I were you i would test that car yourself around town and watchtheheat before I left on the journey.

Good luck . Wew ill be watching for your adventures..
Old 05-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Miguel
Pro

Statistically you're ok Sansor. The **** has already hit the fan in relation to you and your 911.Now should be someone else's turn ( hope not me..)

having said this, follow the above contained advice. I tottally agree with your decison to drive it the long trip. it the regaining of confidence in the macine and in your 911 dream.
nice ride!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:16 AM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

WOW!

Can't wait for Tuesday!
Hope the weather's nice for your drive!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:28 PM
sansor
Intermediate

This thread has taken on a life of it's own:
Part soap opera, part Porsche tech.
For the devoted followers: The saga continues tomorrow...will the little blue Porsche ever make it to Maine?...Will some other important part fall off?...Will something break, leak, smoke or spray out the back of the engine???...stay tuned...
Old 05-29-2006, 11:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

adversity builds character..
Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 AM
Miguel
Pro

Come on, Iceman, poor guy is so full of character already, what with buying a car he hasn't managed to take home in 15 days!?!?!?

Keep us posted, Sansor.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

talk about your baptism of fire .. we should have strapped a GPS tracker on him and tracked him on the internet.. I think it's safe to say he will be our oil pick up expert ...

i think he will be fine ...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Miguel
Pro

He 'll get to Maine.
Cheers
M
Old 05-31-2006, 12:26 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The Alternator nut on my 82SC uses a 24MM nut.

Enjoy the trip and watch out for the cops
Old 05-31-2006, 07:33 PM
sansor
Intermediate

To the loyal followers of the "broken oil pick up tube" thread...

I MADE IT BACK TO MAINE IN MY NEW 82 911SC WITHOUT INCIDENT!!!

The pressure sat right around 3
The temp stayed right on the first line most of the trip, as I was driving in the evening/night with the temp outside around 60. It stayed between the first and second lines even at 90 degrees in stop and go traffic as I was leaving the city.

The trip was fantastic. Worth the frustrations of the past few weeks. I thank all who encouraged me to drive the car home and not to ship it. The trip restored my faith in the quality of these cars and I would not hesitate to take it on other long trips.

I have the damaged oil pump tube that was loose inside the engine as well as the damaged sump plate and screen. I will post pictures of these soon for your review and comment.

Best,
Bob
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
bourgeois911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Nice looking vehicle, glad everything turned out fine.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Way to go .. you are now officially 'in "

Quick Reply: 82 911SC broken oil pick-up tube?