Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

MAKING A 3.2 BREATH BETTER

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAKING A 3.2 BREATH BETTER

Alright you experienced motorheads out there...I'm looking to pull a bit more out of my 84' 3.2 euro cab. She's pretty much stock..I've got a bypass pipe in transit but I've heard of a service that used to [or still does] throttle body boreing and "extrud " honing of the intake runners.It sounds great ...but shouldn't I be going after cams first? And if so what are the best cams for doing auto-x and weekend goofing off? Any help with this would be great
Thanks Russ
Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

964 cams seem to be the favorite with stock Carrera pistons. I'd leave the intake alone IIWY. Very little to be gained there.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an Autothority mass flow sensor installed in my 1984 street/track car and it added some real nice grunt. We never dynoed it but it seemed well worth the cost.
That was back when Autothority was (or may have been) the only MFS available, but there are other choices now. Not sure who has the best.
Ran the car for 15k miles of DE after installation and never a problem.
Sidenote: repalcement car is a 993 and although it is faster because of better handling (it is a lot more set up) even with the lower gears it does not seem any differnet in terms of grunt.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:39 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

need more detail -- at what rpm do you want it to breathe better?

how will you use the car?

how much will you be willing to spend?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:44 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much is to be gained from a mass air flow and where can i find them?? ive only seen one and it was like 500 some odd dollars.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:26 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

'Cat bypass, sport muffler and Steve Wong chip' are the low hanging fruit of Carrera improvements. Beyond that, the bang for the buck diminishes precipitously.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:29 PM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"precipitously"

What are you, a writer?

- Do you need to pass sniffer or visual smog tests? I'd like to see a real exhaust system, MAS, sport muffler, and SW chip. Power by adding lightness to a Cab is a possibility. Looking at my 3.2 intake on the garage floor, I'd think TB is much more of an issue than EH the intake itself. Do a search on the EH intake thing...seems to have mixed results.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

O.k...First off...It's a euro 10.3 comp. ratio...2] I'm in a position where the smog testing isn't an issue and since there will be NO cat soon ...I might even run 110 oct. fuel from time to time. 3] I"m just looking to set the car up for some auto-x...maybe a D.E. on a rare ocasion;but she's a ragtop and in beautiful condition...so I promised the wife I wouldn't "basterdize" it too much.To Randy; 4]$$$ In the past week I've ordered or have recieved: 4 bilsteins, turbo t/rod ends,cat bypass, k/n a/filter,st. steel brake lines,ate blue fluid;and a rennline 3 point strut brace...some tools and cosmetic b.s. as well.I've completed the valve adj. myself [3 hrs!!] and installed the rear shocks. I'm waiting for the bk. lines and t/rod wrench to do the fr. struts and bk. lines in one shot. comments? Russ
Old 05-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Sorry I got long winded LOL! The $$ don't bother me as much as if ther is a real differance in the vehicle's performance: I'd rather have a better 0-80 speed than just a higher top end...that is what I think would be a better auto-x runner than bouncing my top speed 10-15 m.p.h. Yea I guess I could remove the conv. top and rear seats to gain the h.p./l.b. ratio but what am I really gaining?Even at best...you need to loose a 100 lb.s to loose a TENTH of a second in the 1/4 mile...Besides my wife would kill me LOL!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeSportsman
"precipitously"

What are you, a writer?
If you ask Jack nicely he will post with smaller words for you... substitute sharply, steeply, abruptly, suddenly.. they are all 8 letters or less.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's true; one-syllable adverbs are hard to find.

Russ, a 5-10% power gain isn't going to do a thing for you in autocross or DE, especially early on. If you want to improve the car start with the suspension -- that's where the real time is going to come from. Shocks, bushings, springs, swaybars -- you can transform the car's capabilities and give yourself a great platform for learning how to handle a 911 on the edge.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Jack, wish you were closer, I think we would get along well..

Russ - if your "weekend goofing off" is going to include DE's I would actually start with saftey improvements like seats that allow 5-6 point harnesses, a roll bar/cage, and of course harnesses. You will do better secured in the seats in a stock car than you will being thrown around in a slightly better suspended setup IMO.. "hanging on" to the steering wheel to stay in place is not an optimum solution. The reality is a cab, by design, is not a good platform for any competition driving without some major stiffinening modifications.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:42 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

it sounds you want to alter the gearing...

also you may want to lighten the car significantly

beyond that... a supercharger if you really really want lots of power from the existing motor

or find a 3.6, or better a 3.8RS motor and stick that in there.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Uli911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Russ L.

I'm looking to pull a bit more out of my 84' 3.2 euro cab. She's pretty much stock..

Russ
What engine type is ist?

(There had been all types in Europe)

Quick Reply: MAKING A 3.2 BREATH BETTER