Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to buy a pristine 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:08 PM
rscredon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my '87

I bought my '87 a month ago after a 4 month search. It is in excellent condition inside and out. One item I had the owner fix before I bought it was the A/C. The engine has 10k on a rebuilt and 110,000 overall. I paid low $20's for it and it was worth a little extra in my opinion to have a car ready to go and not need a lot of work. Good luck in your search, hold out for the one you REALLY want.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Chuck I agree the price is out of line with the market, i just thought you might call the guy and see if he'd consider something closer to the market. This forum and pelican are great resources and filled with good people who love these cars.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trader....I've found an '87 Carrera with 86K locked away in a garage in northern CA. It's a beautiful car and if I can figure out how to post pics I will....but it's due in for a PPI this thursday. She wants $25K for it...which is sort of high from what I've been reading....but it fits the adjective of "pristine" to the letter. I don't think I've ever seen a more spotless engine or interior. Guards red with the "tail", new s/s exhaust, brand new Eagle tires still have the tabs on them...extensive records, comes with all OEM parts for anything upgraded or modded. I tracked down all two previous owners and had a sit down with them all. Each said that their instructions to the local Porsche shop were..."if it needs it, do it". Never rained on, snowed, or scratched/dented. There is ONE SMALL OIL LEAK from the right rear. The car had been garaged for two months, and there was probably a teaspoon sized spot of oil on the floor. It drove tight and flawlessly. I'm concerned about the oil leak, but the PPI should give me some answers. Waddya' think about the miles versus price? I'll tell you that the interior and exterior are a 9.5 which is about as high as I can go on a 20 year old car. chuck
Old 05-16-2006, 08:10 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chuck, although you didn't ask me specifically, I (like you), think the asking price is a bit too high (for that mileage), especially for CA. Maybe you can use the PPI (and oil leak) to negotiate a better price. The truely mint cars don't come along everyday, and if that is THE car for you (and the PPI checks out), then you have to ask yourself if you want to let it get away. In my case a few years ago, after for searching daily for six months, I paid a premium for one in mint condition (w/ 46K miles) and didn't regret it one bit. If I hadn't 'pulled the trigger' on it...other buyers were in line behind me. Good luck!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Chuck,
The price sounds a shade too high IMO too. I would like it better if you could get it in the 19k range maybe 20k or 20.5k. You’re right on the market in using the results of the PPI to negotiate a lower price. It takes a lot of discipline to wait for the exact right car at the price you think its worth. One thing I like to consider is what are your plans? If you think this is the car for you and you plan on keeping it a long time then paying up a grand or so to find EXACTLY what you’re looking for may not be a bad thing in the big picture. I personally cant value what an extra thousand bucks means to you personally. When I bought both my C2S and my 89 turbo I probably paid a small premium to the market since they both had the color, options, condition and paperwork I required. It took me quite a long time to find both and a lot of patients. On the other hand a G-50 targa in red is not all that rare and if this one is not everything it needs to be for you then its easy to take a pass and find another. I know I have kind of straddled the fence but… as I said finding a G50 car with 86k miles is not all that difficult. Good luck please keep us posted !
Old 05-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Chuck here is one I found quickly you might want to consider

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=283095
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

If you find a car that both meets YOUR description and passes a PPI, don't let $2-3k get in the way. Grab it before someone else does.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:13 PM
phiba
Advanced

I agree with Hal. Emotion SHOULD be a factor, how can it not be? This is the nature of things. If you love the car, and it meets your buying requirements, get it before it is too late.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

That's what's so great about this board...you can get the entire gamut of input from mechanical to emotional...I would agree that emotion does enter into it, but you guys on the board have had the effect of taking SOME of the emotion out of it and making me a little more patient/realistic. I'm not so inclined as I was before about the one I found...and just in the short amount of time I've been getting input, suggestions, advice....I've developed a sightly different mindset. I'm more willing to sit back and wait a bit for just the right car. Some of you folks indicate you waited 1, 2, 6 months...a year. Although I'm anxious to get that classic I have in my mind's eye...I'm a bit more patient now. So bottom line...does emotion enter into it...you becha'...that's part of the thrill of the chase. But there's also the issue of finding just the right one. So, I'll sit back a bit and see what comes up. The PPI might change the whole complexion of things. If it hadn't been for what I've been reading on these forums, I wouldn't even know how to spell PPI!! Thanks guys.....Chuck
Old 05-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Based upon all the input and suggestions I got from this board, I had the PPI done, and although the car was beautiful and very desireable, the PPI identified several oil leaks (crank seal, head leak etc), tires are noisy and close to the bars, AC needs CPR...best estimates are around $2500-4000 needed to bring it up to par. I passed on the purchase...so $160 PPI saved me several thousand in unseen repairs....The suggestions and cautions I got from you folks overcame some of the emotion and I think paid off in the long run. So the hunt goes on.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

Plus your PPI I am sure has educated you in what to look for, along with the advice from this board. I bought my car without a PPI but I bought it for a different reason than most .. if I had done a PPI and the guy said it needed nothing I would have passed on it ( long story ). But the point of this is that I had seen enouh cars and had enough Porsche experience I knew what to look for even before offering the money for PPI , and this will happen to you too. You will get to a point where you need immediately to look for POp off valves, tensioner upgrades, interior damage, oil seapage .. just about everywhere ( don't let that one put you off though ) . Then you will just probably want to verify busted head studs, possibly broken exhaust studs, compression, leak down etc.

Good luck and have fun. It is a lot like house hunting, you think you have passed up on the dream car, and then a better one comes along...
Old 05-20-2006, 11:23 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

You can buy my tank of R12 with 15#'s (or more) of gas and set of manifold gauges for $24000 and I throw in a 964 Targa for free. What a deal!

Last edited by craig001; 05-20-2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Miguel
Pro

Iceman, you leave me mighty curious...care to tell the story?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Yea,--a 911 that has never been rained on! Right. Like it never rains in Stuttgart...

Dan
Old 05-24-2006, 09:27 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Have you ever seen the factory movies where they water test the cars prior to getting them ready for delivery. They inundate them for several minutes at high rates of pressures.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a pristine 911