Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Carrera Lowered >>>Too low or Okay ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Rad Hatter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the feedback Edward>>>

Originally Posted by Edward
Hi Rich,

It looks great, but if you are using stock T-bars and shocks, it's a bit too low. With stock pieces, you are pretty soft, and as you've compromised suspension travel a great deal, I think you're hampering the suspension more than gaining. I'd consider raising it another .5"-.7" on both ends with stock t-bars/shocks for a street car (you've got the front at about .5" higher than the rear, that's correct rule of thumb).

If you get down on the floor and look toward the front suspension arms (car level, of course), they should be either parallel to the ground, or the inner pivot points higher than the outers. I'll bet that your inner pivot points are lower than your outer points. This is not good geometry, especially for a softly-sprung car with stock shocks (which are longer than the Bilstein Sports --which are both shorter and stiffer, for example). You may never notice any problems driving normally, but I've always been told by those "in the know" (guys that set these things up for a living, not hacks like me ) that too low a 911 w/o the appropriate pieces and you are asking for less than predictable handling at the limit ...and "limit" is not just at the track, but in a street emregency avoidance manuver.

Oh, and again, your car does look fabulous!! I have always loved that color since I first saw it in the 80s. Enjoy!!

Edward
I actually asked the garage to do 24.75 and 24.5 as you had suggested but it turns out that its 24 and 23.5 ...after a day of use.
I find that it's all over the place and squidgy...
Will need to rasie it a bit.
Can you explain with an image the pivot point bit- not sure I understand your meaning...cheers mate
Rich
Old 05-13-2006, 01:32 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich

The same thing that I mentioned in the Pelican post. The A-arm.

All of the suspension 'experts' say level or higher at the inner 'pivot' of the A-arm. I was slammed down much of last summer with 15" wheels & 55/50 profile tires & had the reverse angle. I was scraping on driveways & had the suspension bottom at speed on a couple of pavement changes as I said. Scares the crap out of you when it happens. And definitely not good. I know my front shocks need replacing badly btw (another project - add it to the healthy list). But the car drove like a bullet. Raising it removed some of the bullet but made it more nimble, for lack of a better word. Certainly a lighter feel. I re-aligned with every change.

Ian

Quick Reply: 3.2 Carrera Lowered >>>Too low or Okay ?