Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How about this '89 Targa?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 11:21 PM
nostatic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How about this '89 Targa?

Well, I was originally focused on a 911SC, but I have to admit the allure of the G50 tranny is strong. Found a local '89 Targa. 117K, 2nd owner (he bought it in '90), all receipts from local Porsche dealership. New clutch, brakes, alternator and tires within the last 15K. Asking $24K. I'm going to look at it soon...anything I should be expecially aware of? I know all the gotchas of the SC's. If it is as clean as the owner says, I'll of course have a PPI done w/leakdown. I was thinking that if it is clean and I can get it for the low 20's, it's probably a good deal. Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2001, 01:11 AM
nostatic
Instructor

Saw the cr and had a short drive (complete with distraction of my 4 year old along...he lieks to stick his head out the open targa top). The car is immaculate and everything works (even the clock). Engine sound good and pulls well, steering is tight. No rips/tears/cracks in the interior, one crack on the left rear rubber bumper in the back. Has all records, toolkit, original sticker, etc. The only thing that struck me on the drive was that the suspension felt a bit soft...he said they are the original shocks (w/117K), so I'm assuming that they are ready for a change and that would stiffen things up a bit.

Other than that I'm in love...exact color I want. Pending spousal approval I'll have a PPI done.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:42 AM
JeremyW964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 1990 Targa C2 with 75,000 miles that is tight as a drum, even with original shocks. What tire, rim combo does it have - that can have a big influence on handling. Have it checked out and run a car fax on it -it may have more miles than recorded? Look for wear on the pedals and seats... Good luck - they are GREAT cars
Old 07-30-2001, 01:44 PM
davis911s
Instructor

I agree they are great cars and an 88-89 will probably be my next Porsche, But keep your kid sitting down and buckled! Don't mean to be an A-hole but, that is very unsafe. Take care

Shawn
Old 07-30-2001, 01:53 PM
nostatic
Instructor

no offense taken. He actually was buckled in the rear seat...but not with a car seat (he's actually big enough to go without one). We were driving on a quiet street in 2nd gear when he decided he needed to stand up and stick his head out. He did sit back down, and I'm hoping that the novelty will soon wear off. If not I'm going to have to invest in velcro and duct tape...
Old 07-30-2001, 02:02 PM
nostatic
Instructor

The rims are Fuchs 7's & 8's, and the tires are Potenza S-02's. Just to clarify, the car corners fine...it's just when going in a straight line and going over bumps/whoops it feels a bit more like a luxury car than a sports car (not to that exteme, but you get the idea). In some ways that not a bad thing, as I'll use it as a commuter, but it seems that other one's I've driven were a bit stiffer and ruder over bumps.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:52 PM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

Most likely the original shocks are shot. I just replaced the originals on my 89 with Bilstein sports, and it made a huge difference.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:55 PM
r22tek
Advanced

Thumbs up

Check your e-mail, Todd.

Quick Reply: How about this '89 Targa?