Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

hesitation at 4g

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:55 PM
j cookie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation at 4g

so, my dad got the good idea to buy another 911 based on the fact that the car was only 13g. The body and interior of the car is much better then the one we currently have. The only issue is the motor when at 4k rpm hesitates sputters and the whole 9 yards. it doest have any power at the lower rpms either. im not comfterble with the purchase but he seems to be ok with it. The car ran perfectly a 1year and a half ago before he put it into storage, and now the problem.. my thoughts are that maby moisture in the cap, bad wires, bad plugs, bad air filter, bad fuel filter, all basic maitenance stuff that would probably fix the problem.. i just wanted to get your honest opinons.. i dont need to hear, i wouldnt have bought it, because i probably would not have either but it wasnt my choice. im a capable mechanic but im not familiar with these cars all that much.

thanks for the help ahead of time.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year 911? You mentioned all the stuff I would do, but the fuel system probably needs to be flushed or drained and new fuel put in it. If it has carbs, they may be varnished a little or a lot. Try spraying some carb cleaner as you let it idle. Make sure the valves are adjusted properly, and if it's a CIS or Motronic system, that the CO is adjusted to spec also. Year is a vital factor so the appropriate info can be provided.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:00 PM
j cookie
Intermediate

very sorry, the car is an 82 with the CIS system. t
Old 05-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I had a similar problem with my CIS car. It ended up being that the car was getting too rich at high rpm. I forget the cure now. The CIS system is a balance of parts and each part has something to do with the fuel mixture. I'd suggest finding a CIS expert to run through the whole system.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 AM
j cookie
Intermediate

cool thanks jay

Quick Reply: hesitation at 4g