Upgrade Questions - One More Try for Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:19 PM
shattergard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade Questions - One More Try for Help

Hello Everyone

I am purchasing a 1985 911 Cab with 15000 miles. With that said I am far from expert on upgrades etc and would welcome the forums advice
as to which upgrades would slightly increase performance and the longevity of the engine. Ie: exhaust, air intake, ground effects etc. In addition, where might I find these items discounted? Also, does anyone have any experience with adding a clamshell (speedster type) lid on a 911?. I would like to cover the convertible tops mechanics with a easy to use hinged cover.

As always thanks so much

Jordan
Old 04-28-2006, 07:37 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

As far as performance....Cat bypass....MK Muffler....some say a chip....personally...I removed my performance Chip and it runs better and gets better mileage....you can also cut holes in your air intake or do what I did...cut the top out of it like a cup car....

Areo---Several options....I prefer a ducktail, some prefer a Carrera tail or Turbo Tail....the latter two should be used in conjunction of a front chin spoiler....

As for the top cover....I cant help you there...mine is a coupe.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Jordan:

A GOOD sport muffler will increase performance (I recommend the Monty mufflers), keep the stock intake system since its much better than the commonly-seen cone type filters.

Now,.......chips are just like people:...some are really better than others so don't make the mistake of generalizations and lumping them all together as " all good or all bad". A properly programmed one really improves throttle response and torque; a poorly made one can cause engine damage.

Aerodynamic aids do make a very big difference in these cars and specific choices are matter of taste. IMHO, the right spoiler combination makes these cars drive much better at freeway speeds but you must install them in matched pairs. If you add a front spoiler, you will need the matching rear one and vice-versa.

I'd address suspension near or at the top of any list of improvements to these cars,...

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 04-29-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:09 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"Aerodynamics are largely subjective and a matter of taste. "

Ow! Ow! I know you don't mean that the way it came out...
Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
DonMo
Advanced

Free flow exhaust (heat exchanger and muffler) and Steve Wong Chip.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just $.02 but with a 15,000 mile car, if you make non-factory modifications, that could potentially reduce the value of your car...That said, its your car, so do whetever you want, but just something to consider...

Performance exhaust is the best HP mod and totally reversable, so keep your factory exhaust system in case you sell the car.... or need to pass an emissions test. But IMHO, these care have plenty of power for street driving.... but if money is no object, this can't hurt.... just get something that ds not too loud or has annoying resonances at certain speeds... this can really make the car unpleasant to drive.

Also, upgrading the torsions bars can improve handling... for street I would not get too aggressive... the stock suspension is really pretty good, but stiffining up the car will thighten it up... just don;t over-do it or the ride will become harsh... especially on a cab. Again, keep all the stock bars for if you sell the car.

Lowering the car will help handling a bit and improve looks, IMHO, and again this is totally reversable. Also I would upgrade to Turbo Tie Rod ends.... these improve steering feel and are a completely acceptable mod for these cars.

I also like to replace the factory steering wheel with a thicker, smaller diameter wheel. This dramatically improves the steering feel. 930 Factpory sport wheel is a good choice, as is a MOMO. Keep the factory wheel in a safe place, so the leather does not go bad.

Finally, good performance tires are your best performance option... good tires will make more difference to the car than any other single mod and are cheap.

All these are completely reversable, and will result in a very nice driving street car.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:16 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it really worth it on a cab? Difficult to get these things tied down tight at the best of times - scuttle-shake to die for!

PJC
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 PM
zdek
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest that you go buy new shocks for the car, new transmission fluid (Swepco), and new tires. Install these and you will be able to tell a huge difference! Even with the low mileage, your shocks and transmission fluid need replacement. Good sticky tires are also a must! Have fun and enjoy the new car!
Joe Z
'85 Carrera
Old 05-03-2006, 01:17 AM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the way you dropped in that line about looking for a discount on 911 parts!
Hilarious. I needed the laugh. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Questions - One More Try for Help