Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leak Down Results? 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I'd like to know that also (what and where is this shop of yours and how long have you been involved with it?). I need to know because I occasionally refer old clients who I maintain a great relationship with - I would not want any of those wonderful people ending up at a shop that had the audacity to claim the rusted-out rear anti-roll bar on his '84 Euro Carrera was "stone damage." Talk about Rennlist BS! I've seen politicians flip-flop, but TonyG you are among the best. You'd last about 22 seconds in the no-spin zone. You know, I trained about 10 kids during the time that I ran my shop, not one customer had to deal with an idiotic rookie mistake during that time - I did that. And you know something, TonyG, a few of them are now master mechanics. You must be drawing on personal experience regarding your comments, which seems to be something that you don't respect or value (experience). This will be the last time that I contribute to a thread that you're involved with. I erred in an earlier statement; you're not blatantly ignorant, you are painfully ignorant.
Pete
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM
seronde
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHOA! Hey, thanks for the replies. For those interested, the reason the leakdown was done was that a compression test (done twice) raised doubt. Also, the owner made certain that the leakdown was done by someone very competent whom he personally trusts. Unfortunately, the test results were not good for one cyl. - close to 15%. (The other 5 cyls. were 4% or less.) We hope the cause is not serious. We'll see.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

Well I must say I was quite impressed. Having been a memeber of many forums and boards in the past, I joined this one 9 months ago. Since I started it has been 9 months of great informaion exchange, yes people had different ideas but i listened to everyone and took advice. I can not say I have agreed with any one person 100% of the time but overall I thought we had a great group . Now look at this mess.... squabaling like kids.... I am sure the new rennlisters are going to be real impressed...

Can we shut this down and just get back to talking cars ??//

any one want to second this ?

Hey Seronde

That is actually pretty funny , you wander in to ask an innocent question and end up in a war Zone...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I will not be responding either to anymore of your half witted posts, I Have a high tolerance for ignorance, but boy you crossed it.

Any other rennlisters that need help or have any Q's are always welcome to PM me.

This thread is done
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Afraid? Afraid of what?

The name of the shop is The Speed Gallery in Studio City.

I don't have an ASE. But I have a BSEE, and a couple of other IT related designations you probably wouldn't recognize.

And I've been engineering and building race engines for, on and off, for over 20 years. Mostly forced induction in the last 10 years (lots of big cubic inch forced induction small block Chevys).

>>>my hack grease monkey ***<<< You said it.. not me.

>>>I have my ASE's<<< Wow. Tough ciriculum. ASE's are like saying you graduated high school in the realm of car mechanics.

In all fairness, being a factory trained Porsche mechanic will most definitely pull some weight though.

Were you an actual indentured apprentice? If so where? At Porsche?

TonyG
Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Peter Zimmermann

Your reputation is slowly falling apart.

1st off - The sway bar was not on my car. And if you had seen my car, which you have not (none of them), how could you claim it was a "rust bucket" Oh...

Nice try.

2nd - Your idiotic recommendation of supporting the front of the car by the A arm left out one small important detail - That if someone accidently catches the A arm cross brace when lowering the car down, the joint where the cross brace connects to the A arm could be quite easily damaged. The results could be catastrophic if that joint were to fail. Talk about foolish. Oh.. but I guess you'd have to be an ASE mechanic to figure that out eh?

3rd - The rest of your blabber is non-sense supported by no facts.

4th - If you recall, going back to the rebuilding-the-915 thread, there were numerous people there that had similar bad experiences with "reputable" shops... Oh.. that must have been my mistake too right?

This ties right in to all of the experiences I've talked about.

5th - I'm sure you two want the tread shut down. I would too if I were you two. People can see the real you. And that's bad for business I'm sure.

You can't "un-ring the bell". :-)

TonyG
Old 04-28-2006, 11:33 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

seronde

>>>Unfortunately, the test results were not good for one cyl. - close to 15%. (The other 5 cyls. were 4% or less.) We hope the cause is not serious. We'll see.<<<

Your answer is clear. Walk away.

You should not be involved with, nor should you care, about the problem. There are plenty of 911's out there that will test out fine (3%-5%).

Good luck,

TonyG
Old 04-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

seronde: Please note that there is a specific way to perform a leak down test. The engine must be placed on the cylinder to be tested BEFORE the spark plug for that cylinder is removed. Because of the combustion chamber design if the plug is removed while the exhaust valve is open debris from the end of the plug can fall onto, and stick to, the exhaust valve seat. This will give a bad reading when that exhaust valve can't close properly against that seat. Drive the car a few miles, let it cool down, and re-test it. My guess is that you just might be OK.
Pete
Old 04-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

ice: No squabbling, no kids. Just a couple of professionals that have grown weary of someone who is guilty of impersonating a technician. We do have a great group, but everyone here has a voice and those voices must be heard. It's the listeners who will decide...
Pete
Old 04-29-2006, 12:27 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>ice: No squabbling, no kids. Just a couple of professionals that have grown weary of someone who is guilty of impersonating a technician.<<<

Wow.

Just won't let it go.

I have news... Nobody is trying to impersonate a technician (aka mechanic). That would give what you do far too much credit.

I simply call BS on what I see, offer my personal experiences (good or bad), and my opinions, all backed by facts, logic and experience.

No where did you see boasting of being a "professional" car mechanic. That would never be the case.

If I, and many many people here, could actually trust people like you in the first place to do the job correctly and not screw it up, and not rip me off (aka stealing), I probably would never be involved in this crap to begin with (nor would a lot of people here).

TonyG

Here's my new sig: I AM NOT A CAR MECHANIC
Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 AM
seronde
Intermediate

Pete,
Thanks for the advice. Once I hear a diagnosis, I will be sure to post the results here as I would be very interested in your thoughts as well as the thoughts of others.

Tony,
Thank you, too, for the advice. I think since the car has been so well cared for and the other 5 cyls. test well, it is worth sticking around so see if the problem has a sure fix (and maybe an easy one). I am dealing with an honest, reasonable seller, and a reputable, neutral mechanic.

Seronde

Last edited by seronde; 04-29-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Katalog
Advanced

hey Seronde, whatever did happen with that car?

Quick Reply: Leak Down Results? 87 Carrera