Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

HELP!! O/2 SENSOR WIRING AND PLUG LOCATION 84 EURO CARRERA

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:14 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>DOES THAT MEAN THAT IT'S METERING FUEL JUST FROM THE AIR BOX AND THROTTLE PRESSURE [TPS] ? I WILL TRY TO SHOOT THE PICS TO YOU WHEN I GET HOME. THANKS RUSS<<<

RPM, Throttle Position, Temp, Air Meter.

TonyG
Old 04-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics..well..it doesn't look like anyone was in there...until now..right?The tabs on the unit looked like they were never disturbed.Is there a chip for this set up...I still have the cat on but that may change ...and if there is a chip...what can I expect from it? Thanks Russ
P.S. I just got done finishing the upper valve covers..6 coats red/ 4clear...b u ti full !!! lol
Old 04-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"RPM, Throttle Position, Temp, Air Meter"

The 3.2 has no real throttle position sensor (TPS) other than idle & full throttle.
Also, once the engine reaches a certain temp, the temp sensor has no more
effect. So it's just the RPM, AFM, and fuel pressure which determine the
amount of fuel, and also the O2 sensor if used.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>The 3.2 has no real throttle position sensor (TPS) other than idle & full throttle.<<<

But it still uses the TPS to determine idle & WOT. Thus the TPS is used to determine fuel quantity. (which is why I listed it).

TonyG
Old 04-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Thus the TPS is used to determine fuel quantity. (which is why I listed it)."

Not directly, just different maps & it's NOT a TPS.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

So gentlemen...is this a compuer that had an o/2 sensor system or not? If not then there's really no reason for the wire in the first place...right? That should also mean that I can just use a plug in it's place.Now back to the real question...CHIPPING THE COMPUTER...Can it be done and what are the gains? P.S. Tony how were you able to put the pics on the thread?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:54 PM
THECARREAPER
Track Day

Smile

i have a moss green euro 84. mine has a cat on it ( until the bypass pipe shows up from Pelican) and it has an O2 sensor with wire.

this thread is very much appriciated as i have been pondering the benefits or hazards of having a chip put in my car also.

if you need me to look on my car later today or this weekend so see where the wire goes i would be glad to. i will take pics too, if i can figure out how to upload them here.

i would love to know any facts or numbers on what a chip and bypass pipe would do for the car.

question : what else can be done, within "reason".

Michael

84 euro carrera # 1491
Old 04-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Mike...what I was looking for was the location of the plug and the wireing harness...mine apparently has NOTHING there! Economy model? LOL! You should see a "mouse hole" in the sheetmetal on the front of the motor..between the eng /trans. you may have to pull the d/s rear tire off to properyl see...if you do; take a pic please and fire it to me...my e-mail is FLOYD1960@OPTONLINE.NET
Thanks Russ
Old 04-22-2006, 08:24 PM
THECARREAPER
Track Day

will do Russ, ill be back at the car tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>Not directly, just different maps & it's NOT a TPS.<<<

You're playing word games.

It uses the TPS to determine WOT. It then goes to a different map. Thus the TPS is directly responsible for the fact that a diffent map is used, which of course has different values, and thus provides a different quantity of fuel.

Those that know, understand that the TPS is only used for idle and WOT, and not used to determine thottle angle. But it is none-the-less used. And it does affect the net output.

If you look at the original question: "DOES THAT MEAN THAT IT'S METERING FUEL JUST FROM THE AIR BOX AND THROTTLE PRESSURE [TPS] ? ", it is clear he is trying to understand all the inputs that will affect fuel metering.

TonyG

Last edited by TonyG; 04-23-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:33 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Russ,

It's a USA DME with a USA chip.

If you don't have the wire for the 02 sensor, you can simply run one, on the "top" of the factory harness, and connect it into the proper pin.

I don't have a factory manual for that car, but someone here does and it will show which pin you need to connnect to.

Very straight forward and simple job.

TonyG
Old 04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>So gentlemen...is this a compuer that had an o/2 sensor system or not? <<<

Yes. It it is setup for a 02 sensor.

>>>If not then there's really no reason for the wire in the first place...right? <<<

I can't answer for Porsche, but several auto manufactures use 1 wiring harness to serve several markets and cover all available options. This is because it's less expensive.

>>>That should also mean that I can just use a plug in it's place.<<<

Correct.

>>>Now back to the real question...CHIPPING THE COMPUTER...Can it be done and what are the gains? <<<

Yes. Go to www.911chips.com and order a chip for you car of the correct year, specifying that it's a European model, exactly what exahaust system you have on it (stock with cat, stock with bypass, SSI's, headers, stock muffler, non-stock muffler, etc...), and most importantly, exactly what fuel you will be using in the car (very important).

The increases will vary based on your car and more importantly, what's done to your exhaust system, but you will see a noticable gain, the midrange will improve also.

>>>P.S. Tony how were you able to put the pics on the thread?<<<

First, I reduced the size and compressed them so they were not so large with respect to file size and dimensions.

Then I uploaded them to one of my web servers (the server where www.tonygarcia.org resolves to).

Then I replied to your original message (where I posted your pics) with the following image call.

[i m g ]http://www.tonygarcia.org/russ-at-rennlist/1.jpg[ / i m g ]

*remove spaces in the image tags so that they look like [img] & [/img] respectively. I spaced out the image tags so that the actual image would not be called in to this response... so that you could actually see the correct code instead of the image.

The "[img] and [/img]" are "tags" which tell the bulletin board that an image is being specified.

The "http://www.tonygarcia.org" is the domain where your images were uploaded to.

The "russ-at-rennlist" is the directory on the web server that I made for your images.

The "1.jpg" is the new name I gave one of your particular images.

TonyG
Old 04-23-2006, 05:28 PM
THECARREAPER
Track Day

pic of wire, it seems to go up the drivers side to a connector and disappear into the carpet, headed towards the computer. sorry so late with the pic, my father is still in the hospital. i will try to take better pics when i have time to raise the car. i am not driving it right now. michael
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
THECARREAPER
Track Day

by the way, i was told this thing the O2 sensor is plugged into is a cat converter, but it appears to be a "premuffler"??? i am new to porsche guts under the car so any help would be great.

i have a bypass pipe on order and i am wondering if i do not need it.

thank you.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

THECARREAPER

That is a cat converter, not a pre-muffler.

TonyG

Quick Reply: HELP!! O/2 SENSOR WIRING AND PLUG LOCATION 84 EURO CARRERA