Stereo replacement in Tri-State

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:09 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo replacement in Tri-State

Hi Guys,

My car is in bad need of a stereo upgrade ... not talking about a boum boum sound system, just replacing the (non-original) head unit and speakers that are not working and damaged.

I love the melody of my engine more than anything else but a stereo was the compromise I reached with my wife to plan some road trips now that the sun is back.

Any indication of a reputable shop to buy / install would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2006, 12:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,154 Likes on 827 Posts

yeah your own.... do it yourself, it is really not that hard... I have bought nothing but Blaupunkt. It is compatible with yours and the instructions make it easy.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:28 PM
ulrichd
Racer

This is what I installed in my 78SC. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-865uq70...=300&I=023INDY

Like you I prefer the engine sounds, so this was inexpensive and it's all Black so it looks good in the dash.

Crutchfield sends detailed instructions for self-install. The tricky part will be removal of the old unit if it has an anti-theft chassis. Look online to find removal keys/tools for your particular brand of radio.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:43 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 75 911s that was a sinch.

Depending on wether the stereo before was wired for BOTH a power and to the ignition switch it should be a sinch.

If the car was wired to only work with the ignition switch, then you are going to have to run a wire from the battery to the unit to plug into the "batt" wire.

I'll be happy to share pictures of what I had to do to install mine.

Also the speakers are a cinch. Just get what you think sounds good and what you like the best. you only really need a screwdriver or two.

feel free to PM me with anything.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
marin77
Racer

Thanks a lot for the input - I'll do some more research on what to install and as I get started and get stuck, I will ask for help! Thanks again,

Last edited by marin77; 04-17-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:38 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can manage yourself (or if you have a shop do the work), I highly recommend going to 6.5" speakers (separates) in front. They make a world of difference over the 5.25" separates I had in there previously. They do fit, but you have to cut larger holes in the door interior panel (the holes in the sheetmetal underneath will accomodate the speakers without modification). The bass difference is night and day. In the rear, there is a Blaupunkt 5x7/6x8 coaxial available from Crutchfield CHEAP (like 49.00), and they fit in the rear deck beautifully. I'm running MB Quart Reference 6.5s in front, which sound great (about $150 on the web). The head unit is your garden variety Alpine CD, and the external amp is an older Sony.

A note on installs...they all start off simple in theory, and I've done a bunch in my lifetime. For some reason, working in the confines of a car dash, door, rear deck, etc, always ends up being more work than I originally think it will be. If you are not in the mood, just get a professional to do the work...saves a lot of hassles.

Quick Reply: Stereo replacement in Tri-State