911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Loud clunk, then a buzzing sound?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006 | 03:20 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Default Loud clunk, then a buzzing sound?!?!?

About a week ago I was driving along about 40mph and heard a loud clunk towards the front of my car. It sounded like something on the road had kicked up and hit the underside of my car near my feet. I don't think I hit anything, I didn't see anything on the road. Now fast forward a few days, I get out of my car while it's running and walk around the front. I'm hearing a rather loud buzzing noise from up front somewhere. Almost sounds like a cooling fan that might be making contact with metal. From in the car I can't hear it, but if I walk around front, it's pretty noticeable. Haven't put it up on the ramps to investigate yet, any early thoughts on what to look for? I only get the sound while running, not in the accessory position.
Old 04-14-2006 | 03:28 PM
My87Targa
Racer

your front blower motor maybe??? your car may be too loud to hear the noise while its running
Old 04-14-2006 | 03:36 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Nope, I only get the sound while the engine is running. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere between the front wheels.
Old 04-14-2006 | 04:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Dean: That's your fuel pump. Something has caused it to come in contact with the skid plate directly under it. If you hit something on the road it's possible that the skid plate has been bent badly enough that it's touching the pump. More likely, the two special mounts for the pump have rotted/broken and allowed the pump to drop down to the plate. The pump will really buzz when it contacts something metal!
Pete
Old 04-14-2006 | 04:26 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Thanks Peter, that certainly sounds plausable. I'll check it out! I peeked under and the skidplate doesn't look bent, I'm guessing it's the mounts.

Quick Reply: Loud clunk, then a buzzing sound?!?!?