Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

HELP WITH SUSP & TORSION BARS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
einzel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH SUSP & TORSION BARS!!

Hello! Today I went to drive my 3.2 Targa Turbo Look and I saw that the rear left side was on the floor, totally droped only in that side, the rest of the car is perfect.. This thing just happend at night while it was parked.. very weird!!

My question is.. The torsion bar got loose? or maybe that Bilstein gas shock is in the end of his life?
They told me that when the Bilsteins dies (totally..) the car just drops and the wheel gets inside the wheel arch.. Is it that true?

I checked the torsion bars and they look pretty good.. there isnt anything loose!

Thanks for your answers, cheers!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi:

Generally speaking, torsion bars cannot get "loose";.......they will only break and leave a tire resting against the inside of the fender.

If a shock totally fails, the car will only sag about an inch or two so its worth lifting the rea of your car off the ground and checking the shocks. If you support the rear of the car on jackstands with the suspension at full droop, you can use your floor jack to raise each trailing arm a bit to see if a torsion bar has failed or perhaps a bad shock.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:22 PM
einzel
Intermediate

With all the things you are telling.. I think that the torsion bar just failed, because the wheel is totally inside the wheelarch.. (even more than a competition car!!) but the weird thing is that all happend when the car was still (parked) it was not moving..
Another thing I saw is that when I lifted the car up to check everything, the wheel was pretty near to the wheelarch, like 3 fingers or so.. normaly you can get a hole hand inside of it..

The green Bilstein looks normal, with all the tipical dirt of many years..

Is the torsion bar very costly to replace?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by einzel
With all the things you are telling.. I think that the torsion bar just failed, because the wheel is totally inside the wheelarch.. (even more than a competition car!!) but the weird thing is that all happend when the car was still (parked) it was not moving..
Another thing I saw is that when I lifted the car up to check everything, the wheel was pretty near to the wheelarch, like 3 fingers or so.. normaly you can get a hole hand inside of it..

Thanks
Torsion bars are cheap! Highly recommend the Saunders ones (hollow)...such a small price difference between them and solids, it's worth it. I believe the bars are less than $150 per bar. Steve at Rennsport sells them.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by einzel

Thanks
Torsion bars should always be replaced in pairs; front or rear.

Unless you are interested in a suspension upgrade for improved handling, you should be able to source a good used pair of 26mm Turbo torsion bars and have those installed. The car will need to be cornerweighted and realigned.

The whole job should not be more than 8 hours of labor plus the cost of the bars.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

just an FYI

I noticed this guy has a torsion bar ..

http://www.stuttswap.com/stuttswap/b.../bbarbin2.html
Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 AM
einzel
Intermediate

Thanks theiceman but mines 26mm original from turbos.. they are selling the 24mm, thanks for caring anyway!

Ill check to assure that is the torsion bar and not the susp..

Quick Reply: HELP WITH SUSP & TORSION BARS!!