Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

upgrading 911 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
reybold
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading 911 engine

I am looking for some information on dropping a larger engine in a 1967 911. does anyone know where I can get information on putting a larger engine and newer transmission (915) into the shorter wheelbase car?

Thanks,

David
Old 04-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi David:

Installing a larger engine in your '67 isn't too hard; its really about what else needs to be upgraded to support such a conversion,...

I have some questions,....

1) What size engine were you considering?

2) What do you use the car for?

Installing a 915 is NOT going to be cheap since you'll also need to upgrade the rear axles and outer drive flanges. Further, you'll need to clearance the top of the tunnel for the larger, taller 915 and add the 915 shifter. Bigger motors usually require an additional fender-mounted, front oil cooler.

Personally, I'd not go larger than a 2.7 or 2.8 since both will work with the 901 gearbox and neither will overpower these SWB cars and create "interesting" handling situations.

Don't forget that the suspension & brakes will need commensuate upgrades as well after installing a larger engine.

You can also find more information on the Early S Registry Forums.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:18 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some thoughts.

First, if the 67 is in good condition, it may be worth more kept in origional condition rather than converted to a hot rod. These cars are starting to appreciate. You can build a very nice origional-looking motor off the existing engine that will deliver 150-180 HP. If the motor is completely trashed or missing, then that is a different issue, but I would seriously consider keeping the car as close to origional looking as possible.

Second, definately plan to use carbs. This makes the install much easier, and will result in a higher performance car, and preserve the "vintage" look. Plan on upgrading the oil tank and lines.

If you are not prepared to spend at least $8-10K... reconsider. Unless you do all the work yourself, and are just looking at a fun project. You'd be surprised how quickly two hundered here and four hundred there adds up. For that money you can rebuild the origional engine to an "S" spec (2.0 or 2.2L) and have a very quick car with a brand new engine that is period correct and as fast as you would ever want to drive on the street.

Quick Reply: upgrading 911 engine