Red Line Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Red Line Oil

I have decided to take the plunge and go with Red Line Oil for my SC. I wanted to double check to see if anyone else is using it at this point. The only reason I'm asking is because the tech support at redline insists that I need to run 10w40, and I would have thought 15w50 would be a better choice. The guy on the phone today swore that the 10w40 would run a few degrees cooler, though I'm assuming that the pressure would be lower. The car has had Mobil 1 15w50 in it for the last 10k miles, but I am swearing off their products after bad resluts in several other cars that I have.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran Redline 20/50 in my 83SC for years. I also live in Louisiana where it gets very HOT !!
I'd go with what Redline says and run the 10/40.
Chuck
Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

10w40 Redline is the way to go...no need for a higher viscosity than that, especially with Redline. a higher viscosity oil will not give a lower wear rate and may cause higher oil temps.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

If I am on the upper end of the oil consumption limit, would the 10w40 still be the way to go?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:23 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

if you are consuming alot of oil i don't know that i would use any synthetic....what is your intended car use? DE,daily street driving,etc?? you may be as well served by using Rotella 15w40 or Chevron Delo 15w40...Redline is great if you need extremely high temp protection and the car is driven on the track...$7 per quart oil is hard to justify if your burning alot of it! i would put the money into a top end and valvle guide redo...
Old 04-06-2006, 08:49 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ryan,
I agree with Brant's comments to you.
regards,
Steve
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 AM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
you may be as well served by using Rotella 15w40 or Chevron Delo 15w40...Redline is great if you need extremely high temp protection and the car is driven on the track...$7 per quart oil is hard to justify if your burning alot of it! i would put the money into a top end and valvle guide redo...
Hey Ryan, is it dejavu or do I remember those comments, almost word for word...
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

As far as the last three posts are concerned... at redline oil prices I could add oil to the car for the next 100,000 (or about 10 years at the rate that I drive the car), and still have only spent less than half of what the parts for the top end rebuild would cost. Not to mention that I don't have the time, or realistically the disposable capital to do the top end now. The car doesn't smoke or foul plugs, so for right now, its more than fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

That being said, I'm not planning on using the car as is for 100k miles. I plan on doing the top end well within the next 20k, as Im hoping to get through this summer. But I am really tired of giving mobil my money as I don't feel like it performs as well as it should for $5-$6 per quart. The reason I want to go to Redline is because there are 2 other cars in the family that use it, and the results have been exellent.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

well if cost is not an issue then redline is certainly an excellent choice and 10w40 is the one to use. i am of the opinion that an HDEO like Rotella or Delo is a better option given the circumsatnces. whichever way you choose to go you will not be making a mistake with the oil selection....
Old 04-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
bgiere - I agree with your comments regarding HDEOs in this circumstance. And of course Redline is not a magic lubricant - there is no magic "elixer"

Regards
Doug Hillary
Old 04-07-2006, 03:06 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Doug, I would be interested to know if you have actually ever tried redline... Because even though it is not a magic "elixer" as you say, evey car I have tried it in has exibited better pressure, lower temps, and a noticible decrease in mechanical engine noise. This is not an imagined phenomenon! I recently recommended Redline to a friend of mine who has a 2000 Subaru 2.5 RS which has a piston slap when cold, which I understand is somewhat typical in that engine. He switched to redline, and though the noise is not gone, it is greatly reduced. I am a huge fan, and it is not fancy marketing that has hooked me, it is data that I have gathered from using it. There is a reason that I did not ask for an oil brand recommendation, because it is a coke vs. pepsi type dispute, and there are thousands of them in the archives. I have put in hours of research on this subject, and I have decided to run redline. You are welcome to have your own opinion on what types and brands to use, but it is not pertinant to this thread.

Brant, Thank you for your advice on the viscosity. Someone else on pelican posted the same results for a street only car. I have just been a little worried because my car is not a typical "street car" it regularly gets run hard, and used for solo II competition. Oh well, I guess it will either be 10-40, or I will just look for the cheapest crap dino and figure on rebuilding the engine later any way. So many people have wildly differing opinions that this is an incredibly unfun topic to research.

At this point I don't even care anymore, and I'm closing the thread as well because I doubt that anymore "on topic" information will surface. Anyone can feel free to pm me if they have any more comments

Quick Reply: Red Line Oil