Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ppi resutls, comments please

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006 | 10:27 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
FYI, my local Porsche Dealer charges $225 for a basic PPI lookover, and an additional $480 for compression / leakdown - they do consider it 2 separate items and you have to ask for it specifically before they quote you the additional charge.
And that's why you take it to an independent. Those prices are outrageous.

Ian
Old 04-05-2006 | 10:32 AM
madmmac
Instructor

At $480.00 they showing you they do not want to provide this service, but if you are willing to pay, they are willing to take. It's because they are selling you no parts that they are ripping you off with the inflated price.

I had mine done for $190.00 which included the leakdown and compression test.

Stay away from the stealers....er..dealers.
Old 04-05-2006 | 10:59 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ian, you have no idea.

I picked up my '84 Cab from Inskip Porsche last night. I asked for a diagnosis on the driver's door window glass popping out of the track. I also asked for an estimate on getting the washers working (headlight washers work, windshield doesn't, replaced the nozzles, etc. already). I asked for an estimate on replacing the ignition lock (electrical & mechanical sides on the way out), both with a new key, and with it re-keyed for my existing. I asked for an exterior detail while they had it, and last but not least, I asked for the equivalent of a PPI, as I wanted a set of P-car knowledgeable eyes to give me where the car is relative to other similar era 911s, how is the suspension holding up, etc.

The car's felt great to me, I've had her for just under 18 months, and I've put ~15k miles on her, done some repairs & updates (alt, ss brake hoses, pads, roll bar install, antenna, etc.).

I dropped the car off last Wed. evening for my Thursday appt. I think I made the mistake of mentioning liking the Cayman, and that maybe that'd be my next one if I didn't go '70s / 3.6L, etc.

I didn't get a call Thursday night. Called Friday, they were "just starting on it, you know how these air-cooled mechanics are, they work at their own pace", etc. Bear in mind, 65 degrees & sunny here in New England, and I'm itching to drive with the top down. Was told I'd get a call back "within an hour" (3pm). No call before leaving work at 5. No call before leaving the house at 6:30. Message waiting on the machine when we got back, car wouldn't be ready, maybe beginning part of next week.

Again, this is for a no-compression / leakdown PPI lookover, some estimating, and a buff & wax, basically.

I got the call last night (finally!) around 4pm that the car was ready to be picked up. They told me "if there's any way you can get out of the car quickly, DO SO NOW". WHAT? At this point, I'm freaking out, as he explains about indications of a broken head stud, and how dropping the engine & repairing would be around $6000-$7000. How the trans is hard to shift into 2nd gear (which I knew & expected to do a rebuild after owning a couple of years), asked if the trans rebuild would run around $2000, and was told it could be much much more than that.

That there were a couple of other things too - the car wouldn't pass state inspection (don't recall asking that one) as the cat / muffler had been bypassed (um, yeah, I'm a tad aware of that). I'd mentioned at the beginning that she was due (overdue, actually) for the 60k service, and I had everything at the house and was just waiting to coordinate receiving my pending M&K muffler, etc. I was told an alignment was recommended (on the way home, car tracked perfectly straight at 80 for about 1/8+ mile).

I was told that the car needed $12k - $13k to make it "acceptable", more to make it "perfect". Upon getting the slip, I read that the tech indicated the oil temp gauge was inoperative. "BS" was my reply to the person who gave the the paperwork. It worked great before the service, and as it turned out, worked great on the way home too. They didn't estimate the ignition lock issue at all, and yeah, they forgot to detail her too. So, 4 business days for 2 small mechanical quotes, and a PPI without comp / leak, with some disturbing, some incorrect & some suspect info as my reward.

Most puzzling of all, I asked if I could call up today & speak with the technician, to get a feel for the scope & progression of the supposed head stud problem (to my knowledge, the valve covers were not removed BTW), and figure out a plan of action on what should be done at the same time, etc. - "No, I don't think so" was the reply.

After getting home, I sent off a panicked email to Peter Zimmerman, who was gracious enough to calm me down & explain a few things to me (thanks again Pete!)

So, I won't have a chance to open up before heading on vacation, but once I get back, I should have the new muffler, and will open up & do the adjustment, plugs, cap & rotor, etc.), then tool on down to one of the many p-car specific places recommended by some PCA-Northeast members in the Boston area, and will get a 2nd opinion about just how truly horrible & hopeless my 911 (you know, the one I drive regularly & happily) really is.

(Rant off, have a good day all!)

Quick Reply: ppi resutls, comments please