Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another "talk me into it" 911 purchase decision question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 04:25 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the 964 today. It has some issues, the largest being the oil leak (With the flat bottom panel, I could not determine the source. But it was all over and dripping from the panel.) and clutch slippage upon acceleration.

I liked the handling and feel a lot more than the '89. It ran very smoothly, steered straight, had less "darty" tracking. Definitely more refined and quicker. Plenty of power. The exterior and interior were in decent condition.

A few other issues: Air bags disconected. OEM primary exhaust replaced with an aftermarket by-pass.

?-- I assume that a flywheel will be needed when the clutch is replaced (dual mass cannot be machined). Would the exhaust replacement affect a smog test?

I got a dealer quote of about $4500 for the clutch, including the fywheel. I know dealers are very high. What is a more realistic estimate?

For the leak(s)- What is the best way to determine the source? Will a PPI be adequate for investigation? Is the repair labor normally less if the engine is already out (during clutch replacement)? Any ballpark on repair costs?

TIA
Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you're getting a real deal on this 964, I'd look for another one. (Although, doing some shopping around myself, they are a little harder to find!)

The early 964s had some oil seapage problems at the heads because of a lack of gasket...but didn't you say this is a post '92 964? (..which should be "fixed".) I suppose like any 911 motor, oil leaks can come from all kinds of places. But yes, a good PPI should find them all. Oh, and if you consider this car, remove that "flat bottom panel" ASAP. Some people believe it traps in the heat, which can lead to valve guide wear and other motor problems. I wouldn't be surprised if your oil leaks are related somehow...

Clutches are not cheap, but I think $4500 is a bit high. Should be under $3k if I remember correctly. Find a good independant wrench for sure.

Where are you located?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:49 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Los Angeles area. There are plenty of good independents. Unfortunately, a lot of owners frown on taking the car for a full day. My favorite mechanic is about an hours drive away.

The car is a '94.

Time to drive a 993.

Quick Reply: Another "talk me into it" 911 purchase decision question...