Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Naitove
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New tire suggestions

I have an 81sc w/ 69,000 miles, every mile driven by me. I drive the car less than 1000 miles a year. I have polished Fuchs 7s & 8s. I also have a set of stock 6s & 7s Fuchs with snow tires. I don't drive in the snow much, but the salt in the NE destroys the polished rims. Because I drive the car so little, the tires tend to flatspot from sitting. I need new summer tires and am looking for something that is resilient in order to resist the flatspotting. Wear is not a big issue since I drive it so little. A bit of comfort and low noise would be nice, and I don't want to pay big bucks for tires on a car that's driven so little. Suggestions?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:07 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Buy some anti-flatspotting cradles, then go with the tire of choice. You'll dry-rot before using up the tires from the sound of it.

I picked up some Kumho MX tires last summer, like them a lot, not that expensive. Another "cheap" tire I liked was the Toyo Proxes T1-S (T1-R is now out as well). These were grabby enough I could use them for D/E rain tires, pretty quiet up until right before they'd give. Both are decent 3-season tires, except in heavy rains.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:18 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hard to get around physics...
a tire that won't flatspot from sitting is probably a lousy tire in all other performance respects.
so, I'd elevate the car when being stored for lengthy periods, however there might be an issue with suspension wear at full droop. the best thing would be to remove the wheels & store them in individual nitrogen-filled bags, I suppose...

there is some product that you park on that claims to alleviate flatspotting during storage, I don't understand the argument & don't know anyone who has tried it, so can't argue for or against it.

when I consider tires for a street car that will go beyond 6 years before reaching their wear indicators, I tend toward the higher performance / moderate cost types. Recently I selected the Avon M500 for my 911 w/ 6s & 7s & am pleased. there have been many posts on tires (also check the wheel & tire forum) herein, search & enjoy...
Old 03-31-2006, 06:52 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

toss any tire over 6 yrs old into the recycling bin

the rubber continues to cross-link as the tire ages and they eventually get as hard as a rock -- that means your ability to stop or corner is heavily degraded -- you'll just skid on hard tires.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Naitove
Instructor

Funny. I was considering both the Kuhmo MX and the Avon 500. My son put the 550s on his WRX and I like them. Heard the Kuhmos were loud. Do you find that to be the case?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:31 PM
ProtoCab
Racer

I just fitted a new set of Sumitomo HTR ZII's all round and they are an awesome tyre. Very quiet and comfortable. Highly recommended!

Now I just need to get my car corner balanced, aligned and camber settings readjusted. My old P-Zero's wore out prematurely on the inside cause my camber was too aggressive. It's a pure sreet car.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:46 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put 205x55x16 and 225x50x16 Avon M500's on my 88 Carrera. Very good tires and quiet and grip very well. Also very reaonable. They were $513.23 mounted , balanced, warranty, etc through discount Tire here in San Antonio. Discount didn't stock them, but went to Tire Rack and got them and I have an in-town dealer for warranty, etc. Better than shipping stuff with a time delay and cost to me.

Quick Reply: New tire suggestions