Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001 | 06:38 PM
Seth
Track Day

Post Spark plug wires

I decided to change the wires and when I got to the last one, which happened to be the one under the AC unit (a porsche without AC is so much easier to work on ;P) the part that attaches onto the plug broke off 4 inches up. Are there special tools that will grab the long cap so I can pull it off? I guess I need new wires but they're 200 bucks! Anyone know where I can get some wires for my 1980 911sc for less?
Old 07-28-2001 | 10:54 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

The OEM style spark plug wires have screw on ends. You can get one from Porsche for around $12.00. Performance Products or GPR or Strasse can get one for you. Check the resistance of all of the wires also. I think it should be around 4k ohms. just see that they are all within about 500 ohms of each other, and it'll be fine. I would use my long handled bent nosed needle nose pliers to extract the broken off piece. It's not hard to pull the A/C unit off for repairs. Just undo the 3 8mm bolts that hold it onto the mount, loosen the belt tension nut, and lift it out.
You can lay a towel on the quarter panel and pull on the a/c unit until the lines flex enough to lay it down off to the side. DO NOT undo the lines and let the freon escape, and be sure to have the towel folded so 4-6 layers protect the body.
If you still can't get the piece out, removing the valve cover might help a little bit.

Quick Reply: Spark plug wires