Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 08:26 PM
LongW8
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke

In February I purchased an 87 911 Cabriolet with 82K miles for my wife (that’s what I told her). When the car is started, in this fine cold Wisconsin weather, it blows white smoke. I come to you from the muscle car world where white smoke can be a big problem. Is this just condensation in the exhaust? The smoke clears after the car warms up. As of now, I have only put about 150 miles on it and the temperature outside has not been over 50. I had a PPI done at a Porsche dealer before I purchased the car. No mention of any problems. Is this a common problem?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds normal to me - condensation boiling off - it is really steam, not smoke. All of the cars I have ever owned do it when first started during cold weather - just so long as it goes away once the car is warmed up (unless it is really cold out - like below 0 degrees F - then you will likely see a bit of frozen water vapor in the form of white "smoke"). My 911 seems to produce more of this than my front engine cars - may have something to do with the fact that the engine exhaust doesn't have as far to travel before exiting the system(?). Others may be able to give a more scientific description, but this is my understanding.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
LongW8
Cruisin'

It seems more than what I have seen on any of my other cars. I could maybe see that it's more than a later model car I.E. my 2002 Jeep. But It even seems like more than what I have with my 67 Camaro. Good thought though...Exhaust closer to engine. It just seems like a lot.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
zdek
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my limited knowledge of watercooled cars, white smoke means a blown head gasket. The white smoke is actually steam in both cases (aircooled and watercooled), but it's fine to have the steam coming out of your 911 because there is no chance you have a blown head gasket. My cars have always done it, and I consider it normal. It's the blue smoke that you don't want. Black is okay (running rich and you need a tune up), but blue means piston rings or rebuild time. Have fun with the new car and don't worry about the white steam!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:06 PM
psalt
Advanced

It is not unusual for a 911 engine to blow some smoke on start up. The design of the engine and oil system allows some oil to get past the rings while parked. It is usually not a problem.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:40 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

White smoke = new Pope, right?

Quick Reply: White Smoke