Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turned down by glass guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 02:05 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree re the reasonable & prevailing price language.

Of course, they are no doubt charging you more b/c it is a Porsche, so I would argue that modifies what reasonable means.

At any rate, good luck with the problem.

some states maintain ratings of the ins. co.s with the fewest complaints - Oregon does for example.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:44 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the same guy that installs a windshield in a Chevy pick-up is the same guy that installs the windshield in a Porsche....why should he make more profit just because it is in a Porsche? That is my only point. and most likely the point of the insurance companies in general.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:12 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Some possible answers (pure conjecture):

• Porsche auto value higher, more costly should a scratch appear, more likely the owner's going to see it.
• Porsche owners are more picky w/ attention to detail. A little bubble in the weatherstripping on a Malibu vs. one on a 911...
• Special training req'd for a 911? Maybe it's harder to actually do the install, or cleanly remove the old gasket.
• Cost of parts difference? How many Impalas are out there vs. old 911's? Parts costs tend to rise when you're doing small batches & have to ship. Warehouse space costs money storing those seldom-ordered windshields.
• Actual time involved? Perhaps the installation takes longer.
• Liklihood of finding someone willing to do a quality job on the 911? If a vendor knows a his services or products are sought after, Market Pricing applies, that's just the way it is.

By the same token (not trying to be a dink here), but why is it I pay the same for a 22 year old car for insurance as I do for a 3 year old car? Or for that matter, why is it that when I'm rear-ended at a stop light that my insurance costs go up due to a no-fault state that makes it easier on insurance companies? That's the point of most of the aforementioned insurance companies' customers.

It's a two-sided argument. You can't have the insurance companies screaming they're not making money, so they have to raise rates, when it turns out that when it's time to pay out, they pick & choose what they'll cover.

You'll have to excuse me, I have an old beef with Auto Insurance companies. I was rear-ended while stopped in traffic, my highly-modified & well-covered car was totaled by a Yukon doing 50, I was collared & backboarded from the car, spent time in the hospital, and was told by the insurance company that essentially, they'd either cut my car in two & weld it onto the nose-hit 2nd chassis of their choice, or they'd pay book value (essentially, pay off the note) & hand me the carcass back, leaving me with a rattly weak chassis, or with no driveable car. Oh, and the medical bills? Well, you can just submit those to your regular health insurance... The deductible's not THAT expensive now... and how do we know that pinched nerve in your neck that's making your left arm go tingly & numb wasn't a pre-existing condition?

Zero sympathy for Ins. Co's here.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Naitove
Instructor

I got a better deal by supplying the garage with the gasket and metal trim pieces that I bought from Vertex for great prices, much better than what the shop was going to for them.

Quick Reply: Turned down by glass guys