Clatter vs. Chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 02:30 PM
Ragtop
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clatter vs. Chatter?

OK, I'm a 911 Newbie.

Last month I bought an '87 911 Cabriolet with 57K miles.

I'll be doing the 60K service shortly and I want to zero in on the "noise" from the back end.

I've heard about valve clatter and clutch chatter. I have a sound coming from the rear and I can't feel anything through the gas pedal or steering. It appears at low RPMs. When I start in 1st it sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling. It can happen even without shifting. Say I start in first, shift to second, slow down and coast and let the clutch out, when I slowly accelerate later, the chatter/clatter appears.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

--Dan
Old 07-26-2001, 02:58 PM
john#6
Advanced

If you're running Fuchs, it could be a loose hub cap making that noise, and it might not be only at the rear check all four just in case.

-"87 Carrera Coupe
Old 07-26-2001, 03:19 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ragtop:

Congrats on the '87 Cab.

More information would be helpful here...do you hear the noise at idle or when the clutch and transmission are disengaged?

Does it change with engine speed?

When you hear it then push in the clutch pedal, what happens?

Valves you will hear at idle and it will vary with RPM - doesn't matter what the transmission is doing.

I would think clutch chatter (or is it clatter?) would probably change depending on the pedal position.

From what you have said it seems like it is neither valves or clutch.
Old 07-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Ragtop
3rd Gear

Thanks JBH. I love this car. Should've bought one years ago.

I only hear it under "load" (e.g. low RPMs). As soon as the rev's pick up (guessing 1200+) the chatter goes away. It could be entirely normal. I'm leaning towards the clutch/transmission, but I wanted to leave the discussion open for all possibilities. I don't hear it in neutral, or with the clutch disengaged (foot to the floor).

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure when I push in the clutch pedal, the sound goes away.

As far as the Fuchs suggestion, good idea, but I've been **** about keeping the wheels clean, so I would have noticed a loose cap, and the sound comes and goes with low rpm in 2nd and 3rd too.

Hmmm.
Old 07-26-2001, 04:26 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's the gear backlash in the G50 trans. it's not a problem, they're famous for it. the factory put out a bulletin to install a bracket from the trans to the exchanger to help quiet it down. my 87 does it. you could take it apart and find nothing.
Old 07-26-2001, 04:33 PM
Ragtop
3rd Gear

Smile

Thanks. That's a load off.

The sound doesn't bother me other than I didn't want to do any harm if something was out of adjustment.

I thought I'd heard it on other Carreras, but wasn't sure.

Ahh, the joys of learning about the little idiosynchrocies of a new car.

Quick Reply: Clatter vs. Chatter?