Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Conditioning test

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 08:39 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Post Air Conditioning test

Ambient temperature was 85 degrees. The sun was out. After sitting in the parking lot of the Lowes Warehouse, the interior of the (black on black) car got up to 106 degrees. I picked up a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer (with a probe on a wire), and proceeded to drive about 50 miles of mixed highway (stop and go) and surface street driving.

My AC was recently re-done by TRE Automotive in Burbank, and includes new barrier hoses, a Nippondenso compressor, the Performance Aire passive under-belly condenser, the stock front condenser with fan, a reasonably clean accumulator, and a new dryer/receiver. It's a R134a system.

Griffiths AC, in their "Mr. Ice Project," were able to get 33-degree output temps from a R134a system, also in 85-degree ambient temps. But using position three (high) of their system's fan, the best temperature they got was actually 39 degrees.

Now, my system could probably be fine tuned quite a bit, and my testing methods are probably less rigorous than Griffith's -- but I've got to say that TRE Automotive (and specifically Tyson Schmidt) has done a pretty good job. My best output temp from the vent was 38 degrees, in the third (highest) fan position. The output temp would fluctuate slightly, probably depending on ambient temp changes and revs the compressor was operating at, but the range was 38-42 degrees. Cabin temperatures started very high, and finally dropped to 76 degrees.

Not bad for an early 911 with R134a. I think it's a pretty good indicator that increasing condenser capacity on these cars is a worthwhile thing to do.
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (08-05-2020)
Old 07-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Powderdog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Jack
I have a 85 Carrera that the air conditioner is not really putting out cold air and we live in Central Oregon,it's hot.
My question to you or anyone else is. I will need to change my system to the R134 so this seems to be a good time to do it. Has anyone tried the kits that are sold at the parts houses to change over your system?
Thanks
Steve
Old 07-30-2002, 12:44 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the 106 heat index in DC/Balitmore today I want A/C. Jack, mind giving a ballpark cost estimate for the setup you have? Adding up the pieces in my head it doesnt soud cheap, but if it works....

Thanks for the good write up.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning test