Front Wheel Bearing Replacement-It's Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:38 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Wheel Bearing Replacement-It's Stuck

Help!

I successfully removed both front wheel calipers. I will send those out to be rebuilt. I was advised to replace the front wheel bearings. I was also considering replacing the brake discs, but they look pretty good. No caliper thickness measurement though.

On one side I removed the clamping nut and the the wheel hub, brake disc, bearing assembly just slid off. But on the other side the assembly is stuck. I don't see an obvious point to apply leverage. The cover shroud is very flimsy. I am afraid to beat on the hub with a hammer, so I thought I would ask you guys. I also have a rubber mallet if needed.

The hub that did come off, the outer tapered roller bearing just fell out. I can't see an inner bearing well. Will wait for some daylight. Is it really necessary to replace the bearings. With the calipers off (which were sticking) the wheels had no play when pushing the top of the wheel medially, but the tire didn't roll well off the ground, and one side rolled better than the other. But I don't have a lot of experience with how much roll is normal.

In summary: How do I get hub off. Do I need to replace bearings?

Thank you,
James

(by the way, this is totally fun!)
Old 03-21-2006, 07:01 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would thing you'd want to look at it since it didn't just fall off. I'm guessing you took off the rotors first since the outer bearings fell out? If so I would put the stuck one's rotor back on and use a mallet on it (only because it's stuck)
when I did mine I only cleaned and repacked, but replaced the inner seal.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

damn that's a big picture
Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Let's start with the easy stuff. Replace the inner and outer bearings and races on both wheels. Use new seals when you put everything back together. The inner bearing is in the hub. Remove the seal, and it will slide out. The best way to remove and install the races is with a press.

Regarding the side that's stuck. The outer race has been driven far enough up the tapered spindle that it is literally stuck. You may be able to bang on the back of the disc enough to loosen it, but odds are you're going to need a big gear/brake puller. Odds are also good that the inner race is wedged onto the spindle.

Personally, I'd put everything back together, drive to a reputable P-car shop, and have them get it off.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:40 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive to pcar shop?

I didn't remove the brake rotors. On the side that the wheel hub fell off, the hub and rotor came off as a unit.

I hope I don't have to put it all together and go to pcar shop. This stuck hub is a real party killer.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Replacement-It's Stuck