Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Inquiring about 1980's 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 04:37 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
911 is a wonderful car from a durability standpoint. However, all this performance does require regular maintenance. You can't ignore a 911 like a Toyota and expect it to last. Pay heed to what needs to be done and these things may last indefinitely. Maintenance isn't cheap, but repairs are far and few between. About the only real things on the 80's 911 besides valveguide failure around 100K and broken headstuds (and even that's a big maybe) and synchro failure from abuse or lack of maintenance. The first two issues once they've happened can be remedied easily and permanently, the latter issue with good driving habits. Clutchs are spendy compared to a VW for that matter Like Ed said, these costs are small in the larger scheme of things. A well maintained 911 seems to live forever. My 81 has no squeaks and the doors still shut like new. It isn't a stretch say it's in much better shape than it should be for as many miles as it has. Only non - original items are the steering wheel, seats and shift **** and boot, and a dash cover. The thing refuses to age! See my pics below.

Case in point: my 81 has over 207K on the clock, no rebuilds - engine has never been torn open. virtually all reciepts since new. When I purchased the car, the ODO said "122k" on it. compression came back 165-175 across all cylinders. Leakdown was within 9% highest to lowest. Mechanic said car was sound, but typical maintenance for it's mileage was needed - had the usual leaky oil return line hoses and needed shocks. But overall a very solid car. As mentioned before, no squeaks or rattles, everything works perfectly, interior carpets and panels are perfect. 122k still a "well maintained car". Took my PPI and off I went.
A month later ran across another reciept showing the car had the speedo replaced at the dealership with 73K on it. 73K +122K = 195K!

Oil consumption is still at 600+ mi. / qt. Apart from a dirty motor, and a few holes in my trunk carpet around the battery from previous overcharging, my car stll looks and runs like new. Admittedly the car had a repaint, but repaint won't fix rattles and broken pieces that plague anything else even 1/2 the mileage. Porsche, and Mercedes - Benz are the only exceptions to that rule I know of.

The only problems my car has had historically has been broken sunroof cables. 3x replaced. Steering rack 80K ago, and two tranny rebuilds at $1500, the most recent one I had done. The rest is just wear and tear.

Mine gets driven about 15K yearly, and still gets driven hard. Did the stoplight grand prix against Mullet man in an 88 Mustang GT 3 hours ago I actually edged him to 80- then I lifted - he was a bit dismayed at the outcome All this from a 22 year old car with 200k on it.

Is there another car out there that can do this for $15K?

rjp
Old 05-01-2003, 12:02 PM
nut11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're inspirational! I've got 62 K on my baby and am looking forward to 200 K. Thanks for the write up. By the way, your coupe looks gorgeous.

85' Carrera Coupe 3.2

Quick Reply: Inquiring about 1980's 911