1988 911 oil leak behind main pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 911 oil leak behind main pulley

Hello all,

I'm getting a pretty bad oil leak behind my main pulley. Can anyone describe the R&R procedure for this? Partial engine drop? Remove pulley, install new seal? All done? More than that?

All comments are appreciated! Many thanks!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

Are you sure it's coming from the rear seal? I've heard of many cases where it's the breather hose/ cover or Thermostat seal...and leaks down where the case meets the transmission. If it's your crankshaft seal, you'll have to drop the engine and seperate the engine and tranny. Be very careful not to mar the surface around seal when you pull it (you should use a seal puller). I've also heard the Reinz seal is the best...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If its the pulley seal on the nose bearing, take out the exhaust, put a jack under the engine, undo the front hanger bar and remove it, take off the pulley and its right there, should only take a couple of hours........if you're a novice, buy two seals for when you screw the first one up trying to install it.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 PM
sgschroeder
Addict
Rennlist Member

The seal leaks about 1/4 the time. If the car has a bunch-o-hot-miles on it the o-ring around #8 main bearing is the problem; requires a case split. Try the seal and hope!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

OK, thanks for the replies. I always appreciate the input. I just ordered new parts today, so I will be doing this R&R in a week or two. My 911 only has 64k miles on it, not driven hard at all, so I am hoping it's the seal and not the o-ring on the nose bearing.

I bought the fancy little tool to press the seal into place, looking forward to using it. If anyone needs to borrow it in the future let me know.

I'll post some pics when I do the R&R. I'm doing a bunch of other work on it now as well. This thing has been leaking oil all over the place. I think the PO used synthetic and it found it's way out ...

Many thanks!

Quick Reply: 1988 911 oil leak behind main pulley