Carrera 3.0 exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:39 PM
mrd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carrera 3.0 exhaust questions

Good one for Pete / Steve / Bill

As previously discussed I want to backdate my 77 Carrera 3.0 with stock exhaust/ heat exchangers to SSIs with a dual out muffler. Will I see any increase in torque/ sound/ hp from the standard 205 hp the car originally came with (why the difference between European hp - 205 and US hp -185?)

Also with regards the muffler I know Steve eulogises about the Monty but I think it will cost a fortune to ship to the UK having spoken to AASE about the weight and size of package. Is there a different one that will give similar results that is easier to source. (Unless anyone is coming to the UK and wants to squeeze a Monty two in, two out into their hand luggage )

All answers/ help greatly appreciated - do Monty or M&K not have any UK dealers??

Damien
Old 03-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

When I put the SSI's on my C3 many moons ago, there was a small increase in power, nothing dramatic but noticable above ~4500, the car felt cammier.

Surely there is an English supplier for mufflers?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
mrd
Intermediate

Bill

There are a few suppliers - they all seem to have OEM stuff, some Dansk, Fabspeed cat and muffler bypass and some dodgy looking copies. I have never seen GHL, M&K or Monty although you can buy original SSIs for750GBP per pair. Maybe there is a market opportunity for me there

Damien
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When I first obtained my C3, the engine's power and response had been so poor I was convinced that the CIS was hosed and that I'd replace it rather than mess with it. Since the original exhaust was in really poor condition, I installed the SSIs and a Dansk 2:1. The engine woke up. It was so much improved over the old/original exhaust that I abandoned plans to replace my CIS with Webers. Webers now on the shelf.

I've since replaced the 2:1 Dansk with one of Ben's 2:2 stainless mufflers. It's an early version, with very little restriction. The sound is awesome, but was too much for the street (but it's GREAT on the track!). With the fabrication skills of my friend, Dean, we've tamed the noise on the street with some easily removable exhaust tip baffles.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Hald I have not heard from you in a while. You don't go to the other board much? Anyhow the early mufflers were very aggresive the newer versions are about 85 to 95 dbs depending on what model.

Ben
Old 03-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi, Ben!

yes, I've been busy and sort of absent from most forums of late. I'll have to send you some pictures of the mods Dean made. I'm sure it didn't "help" the performance, but it definitely makes the db level tolerable for street use. In fact, My wife has been in the car since the mod and she hasn't even noticed that I re-installed the 2:2 muffler! ;^)
Old 03-26-2006, 07:19 PM
mrd
Intermediate

Mark

Ben is just finishing polishing my 2 in, 2 out sport muffler for my Carrera 3.0 that I started the thread about a couple of weeks ago. Just in case it is too loud what were the mods you made - my muffler is coming with 2.5" tips - do you have any pics of what you made?

Damien
Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got SSI's and 2-in-2-out Dansk muffler. It's a very nice sounding combination that also frees up the motor.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mrd
Mark

Ben is just finishing polishing my 2 in, 2 out sport muffler for my Carrera 3.0 that I started the thread about a couple of weeks ago. Just in case it is too loud what were the mods you made - my muffler is coming with 2.5" tips - do you have any pics of what you made?

Damien
Damien,

I'll have to take some pictures & post them.

Quick Reply: Carrera 3.0 exhaust questions