Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CSI engine dies coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM
BertBeagle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CSI engine dies coming to a stop

77 with csi injection. No thermal reactor, all smog equipment removed, stock ignition.

When coming to a stop (i.e. red light or stop sign) the engine dies when the clutch is depressed. You can restart the engine and it idles fine – warm or cold. It does have the problem of the residual fuel pressure leaking down after sitting for over 25 minutes but this does not seem related to the idle problem. I can bring the car to a stop with the clutch engaged right up to close to the stopping point and the engine will idle. It just doesn’t like coming off the accelerator and on the brake and then push the clutch in to come to a stop – normal driving for me.
Depress the clutch and hit the brake and the engine decels fast, goes right by idle, and shuts off. This has just recently become a problem. Sometimes the engine will die for a split second and then come back to life and idle fine; then the next time it might die and have to be restarted.

It started out doing this occasionally but now it is a regular occurrence.

Sorry, best description I can give.

Anyone ever experience this?

Thanks

Bert
Old 03-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bert:

From the sound of it, I'd say that you have a fuel pressure issue thats affecting where the sensor plate is resting.

The first thing I'd do is check cold & hot system pressures, system pressures, and fuel pump delivery rates (pressure & volume).

Your fuel pump check valve might be failing, the pump itself might be failing and the accumulator might also be bad.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
magre
1st Gear

Question CSI engine dies coming to a stop

Hei
With my limited experence of the 911 i offer this explanation.....

Sounds to me like this could be because the de-acceleraton valve is not doing it´s job " holding the rpm " when you slip the gas,is the vacum line to it disconnected ?

But i am not sure if your car has de-acceleraton valve ?

Mark from Norway ( and yes it´s cold here)
Old 03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
JBO
Instructor

Mine was doing that with the idle speed at 950 per spec. I raised the idle speed to a little over 1000 and it doesn't do it anymore. Obviously not the right fix, but it works for now. I have also heard this can occur if the mixture is too rich.

Quick Reply: CSI engine dies coming to a stop