'87 Pedal Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 PM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '87 Pedal Cluster

Hi all,

I saw the pedal group buy and it raises a question for me. I have had my '87 Targa for a couple of years. The previous owner had a wood block on the gas pedal to make heel-toe driving easier. I have never taken it off but I would like update my pedals to a gas pedal with an extention.

My mechanic has told me that there is not much I can do other than build up the pedals to get heel and toe adjustments. Am I really stuck?

Thanks,
Paul
-----------------
'87 Targa
Old 03-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul, how big are you? If you're taller than about 5'5" you should be able to drive the car without pedal mods.
Pete
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Paul, how big are you? If you're taller than about 5'5" you should be able to drive the car without pedal mods.
Pete

I'm 6 feet tall. The issue is that the gas pedal is much lower than the brake pedal. I'm having trouble without the block on the gas pedal due to the relative different in height between the two pedals.

I was told there is no adjustment possible on the '87 clusters.

Thanks,
Paul

-----------------
'87 Targa
Old 03-10-2006, 03:23 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul-
Try Rennline...I installed some on my 88 Targa and it has made a world of difference.

http://rennline.com/category.php/sid...9/auto/Porsche
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, I'm 5'5" tall and needed the gas pedal higher off the floor. I went to a VW place (Buggy Warehouse) here in San Antonio that sells dune buggy parts and other VW stuff. I found a piece of hexagon stock with male and female ends in metric (they come in different lengths). I bought three or four of different lengths. I then removed the driver's floor board and took the accelerator rod of the linkage where it snaps onto the ball socket. I inserted the various hexagon pieces until i got the position I desired. The only other way would be to take the accerator rod, cut it in two, and weld in the desired length of rod you need to get the same desired position.

Quick Reply: '87 Pedal Cluster