Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Smog Test Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
RG Najarian
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Smog Test Question

Hopefully Tomorrow my 83 SC goes in for a smog test so I can get it registered here in CA. It has not been driven for a year though it got periodic 15 min startups. Any suggestions/advice for me to do to improve my chances to get this car to pass?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
senna21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the car is fully warmed up. Run it a bit hard, a good highway run is nice, before you get into the test station. I'm assuming you have a CAT on the car, that thing needs to be hot in order to perform it's job. The run will also help clean out the plugs so that they're firing properly. Also change your oil and filter before your test. A new air filter is also a good idea.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Senna's advice is sound, however I would also suggest that you take it to a trusted shop, have the CO% (fuel mixture) and HC checked/set. When they do that have them verify that the timing is correct and that the ignition distributor vacuum box is working properly. Also, have the shop make sure that the oxy sensor is plugged in and working. An additional item that might be helpful is to go to a dealer and buy a new gas cap. There is an above average chance that yours won't pass the seal test.
Pete
Old 03-09-2006, 07:12 PM
RG Najarian
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Gang. Great Advice. I'm looking forward to getting her out on the open road. Now All I need is a drivers sunvisor.

Quick Reply: Smog Test Question