Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

first 911 drive, 77 s coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:52 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I find it funny in these threads... All the folks jump to the defense of the 915 are the ones with a 915... My advice is to drive many - then YOU decide what fits into your budget - and which car speaks to you.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the past 17 years, I've had a 78 (915 tranny), 87 (G50 tranny), and now a 93 (G50, further refined than the 87-89 cars). There was definitely a difference in all three- the 78 was the hardest to drive- balky shifter, 87 much more positive and 93 is as perfect as a stick I've ever driven. That's not to say I'd never want an older 911- each car was successively torquier and easier shifting as it got newer, and therefore "easier to drive". The 964 is the perfect blend of rawness and performance/comfort for me...

My '78 was definitely the most challangeing to drive, but that was part of the fun. I remember not letting any of my friends drive it, becuase I didn't want them to crunch the gears since they were used to their honda, chevy, bmw transmissions. The 87 I let a couple of car nut friends drive, and the 964 I think I'd be comfortible letting pretty much anyone who knew how to drive a stick drive.

The 964 has the perfect blend of a refined shifting feel and clutch weight- like a well-machined lever moving through a gate. The stick doesn't move as lightly as my BMW, but as a result you feel very "connected" mechanically to the transmission and car. The 915 tranny is a different feel- you feel "connected" in a mechanical sense, but it doesn't feel as tight, or smooth shifting. If you get one of these cars you'll get used to the transmission and clutch and may like it or opt to get a newer 911 if you want to go that route. It's all part of the experience that everone who loves these cars wants, and there will always be a demand for the earlier 915 tranny cars as well as the later g50 cars.

My '78 was a targa but was otherwise a lightweight simple car- a blast to drive! It was a european model (no cats or air pump), had no A/C or power windows, and was the most raw 911 I had. The brakes were awesome and the steering so perfect (the 964 steering gives excellent feedback through it's power assist system- the 964 is the second best steering of any car I've driven, second only to the non power assisted pre 1990 cars).

If you can get over the heavy clutch and rough shift from 1 to 2 and 3 to 2 of the 915 tranny, I think you'll love the car. It is because of the rawness that it's the best sports car. If you need to drive the car everyday in traffic, maybe a 964 or newer car is for you. If it's a weekend car, I'd say you'd be fine with the 915. (Note: many people drive their 915 cars as everday cars, but since you seem to be frustrated with the shifting, maybe it wouldn't be good as an every day car for you, but more a weekend car)
Old 03-06-2006, 10:17 AM
tennjed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all of the great feedback. I spent yesterday cleaning out the garage and thinking about the 77s and the 84 sc. The S is about half the price of the SC but really is gamble considering the lack of maintenance records, the fact that it has been repainted, and the other issues with the 74-77 models. I can't think of anything that would be worse than finally owning a 911 only to have a major problem. The SC is in spectacular condition with all maintenance records from new. it shows 134,000 miles on the clock. Records indicate no major upgrades or mechanical problems, just routine and minor maintenance. I guess I should just get the ppi done and buy the thing. What the heck, it's red, it's a targa, and it has a black interior. What's not to like?

Are there any major issues with the targa tops?

Thanks again

Wayne
Old 03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tennjed
Thanks again for all of the great feedback. I spent yesterday cleaning out the garage and thinking about the 77s and the 84 sc. The S is about half the price of the SC but really is gamble considering the lack of maintenance records, the fact that it has been repainted, and the other issues with the 74-77 models. I can't think of anything that would be worse than finally owning a 911 only to have a major problem. The SC is in spectacular condition with all maintenance records from new. it shows 134,000 miles on the clock. Records indicate no major upgrades or mechanical problems, just routine and minor maintenance. I guess I should just get the ppi done and buy the thing. What the heck, it's red, it's a targa, and it has a black interior. What's not to like?

Thanks again

Wayne
Wayne, IMHO do not buy a "bargain" 911... its "pay me now, pay me later". You can dump thousands into a 911 and never get it right...

If you have the option of a clean no-excuses car with good documentation and a clean PPI, paying extra is a good investment long term. THis sounds like a no-brainer decision to me.

As for the Targa, my advice is if you want a targa, buy a targa, if not, buy a coupe. The targa is not as structurally strong as the coupe, will have a bit more squeeking and wind noise, and the top seals can be fiddly... expect some minor drips and drops in rain,and if the seals are bad, they are expansive to replace.

A professional restoration of a targa top is about $800-1000 depemding on who does it.

That said, if you like open-air motoring, the targa is worth the small inconceniences... is it still a solid, tight car for a convertable, so it is a good choice for folks like me that want to see the sky when they drive

Have fun
Old 03-07-2006, 07:35 PM
flatsixxS
1st Gear

I'll chime in here and say the '77s are fine cars if the inherent design flaws have been addressed. Most have by this day and age. I had an earlier car ('68) but felt it was too primitive. The mid years are the last of the thin bodies with arguably the best sounding 911 powerplant ever.

It all comes down to personal preference and which one sings to you.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
tennjed
Track Day

Well, I have bennefitted from all the advice and comments of the group. Pending a good result from the ppi, I have commited on the 83 SC. Considering the condition of the car, and the price (<$13,000) I doubt that I will find a much better deal. I'm looking foward to the experience.

Thanks again

Wayne
Old 03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Credit_Card_Guy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will also chime in here. I have a '74 S. It is a WONDERFUL car, but 74s dont have all of the problems of the 75 - 77 cars. These are RAW cars and require skill to drive smoothly. I would not shy away from another S but, with that said, make sure that the updates have been completed. What are they? Head stud updates, valve tensionor update, removal of the thermal reactors.

Ps -- Pete, why does everyone associate the 74 with the rest of the bunch? It is a 2.7 motor, but is prior to the addition of the thermal reactors and is quite different (reliability wise) from the rest of the bunch.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

[QUOTE=tennjed]Thanks again for all of the great feedback. I spent yesterday cleaning out the garage and thinking about the 77s and the 84 sc. The S is about half the price of the SC but really is gamble considering the lack of maintenance records, the fact that it has been repainted, and the other issues with the 74-77 models. I can't think of anything that would be worse than finally owning a 911 only to have a major problem. The SC is in spectacular condition with all maintenance records from new. it shows 134,000 miles on the clock. Records indicate no major upgrades or mechanical problems, just routine and minor maintenance. I guess I should just get the ppi done and buy the thing. What the heck, it's red, it's a targa, and it has a black interior. What's not to like?

Thanks again
Wayne [Quote]

Check out the weather stripping/seals..this means taking the top off.. seals are not $5.99 at Pep Boys! Additionally, if the top is not that great and you are thinking it cant possibly be that much for a new top.. think again.. Pelican offers new ones for $11,042.25.. gonna need to replace the seals on mine here shortly.. gonna def. have some wind noise.. but you are also gonna have a nice drive sans top on those great sunny not too blazing hot days.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:59 PM
tennjed
Track Day

Thanks for the additional info on the targa tops. Are all of the seals replaceable? What sort of damage requires replacement of the top rather than repair.

$11,000 for a top. Wow!

Thanks again

Wayne
Old 03-08-2006, 12:37 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I prefer the 915 myself on the "911" models, but really like the G50 on the 964 and later cars. I don't like the earlier cars (87-89) with G50. To each his own, and none of them are bad!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't also dismiss the possibility that you just might not like 911s! I know a lot of people get into my car and ask themselves why anyone would ever want to own a 911. It's a drastic disconnect from just about every other car out there, and isn't for everybody...and there is nothing wrong with that!

If the 911 doesn't work, try out a 951 (944 Turbo) or maybe even a 928...both different from a 911 and from eachother. Have fun test driving.

Quick Reply: first 911 drive, 77 s coupe