911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2.0-2.2,2.4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006 | 10:31 AM
JH
AutoX

Thank you Harry! I've tried the early 911 guys and to honest it just feels better over here. But then I'm an FNG, and my sense of the whole thing probably isn't very well developed. I'm still so 'frickin excited I have a hard time concentrating. My book purchases have skyrocketed in the last month as I try to feed this obsession. I'm told this wears-off over time. My wife just looks at me in bewilderment. Aloha, Jon
Old 03-04-2006 | 02:01 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Charming little car Jon...same side mirror I had in my 1965 356C...I'd restore it step by step! Congratulations...I'd love to see a pic from the back side...a 911 with all the 356 magic...you got to love these SWB early 911s...
Old 03-04-2006 | 03:03 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JH
Thank you Harry! I've tried the early 911 guys and to honest it just feels better over here. But then I'm an FNG, and my sense of the whole thing probably isn't very well developed. I'm still so 'frickin excited I have a hard time concentrating. My book purchases have skyrocketed in the last month as I try to feed this obsession. I'm told this wears-off over time. My wife just looks at me in bewilderment. Aloha, Jon
Hi Jon,

Yeah, I see you point as they are an intense bunch. The good thing is that they know a bunch about the arcane stuff for an early car that sometimes will get the answer you need. Lurk for a awhile and see if you start feeling better. I presume you also tried Pelican but they are more focused on the mid year cars (3.0 and 3.2L cars) and very much willing to to go the DIY route.

As far as being excited, brother, I know where you are at. In 2001 I bought my first Porsche (a '67 912). Had it for 6 weeks, 3 of which were in the shop to replace an ignition switch that failed after 4 days. I drove it, I was excited and then a school bus used it for a brake! You can imagine my dissappointment. 6 months later I found the 911 I have now. I am still excited.

Enjoy. Have fun. and don't let that smile leave your face.

Last edited by HarryD; 03-07-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2006 | 11:43 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JH
Just $.02, but this car looks pretty straight. If the car is basically sound and origional and everything works ok, I wouldn't rush into "restoring" it right away. As they say, "A car can be restored many times, but is only origional once."

The trend in car collecting is definately shift toward "preservation" rather than restoration, so if you can preserve some of the origional "patina" of the car, it might make it more valuable....

Either way, I'd really make the effort to replace anyting you do with OEM materians or parts as much as possible. IF you have to do something else in the short-term to make the car more livable, fine, but make sure it is reversable down the road.

THis is definately a keeper....
Old 03-07-2006 | 01:36 AM
JH
AutoX

I've been very fortunate in visiting the forums. Most folks have been eager to share knowledge and excitement. There are some very experienced people participating in these discussions. This afternoon, I got everything ready to remove the engine and trans in the am. I'd like to keep it stock. It all depends on what lurks inside. I get excited thinking about using 2.2, 2.4 pc's, but the case work and $$ are substantial. I'll take more pics tomorrow and try to put them up. This whole thing has come over me like a disease. I'm not a stranger to fascination with cars. I've been restoring a 1970 SS 454 El Camino. Engine. frame, driveline, etc. Just put the body back on the frame when I got clobbered by Porsche-eyetus . JCP911S, you make a good point. After the motor and trans. work, it's on the road!
Old 03-07-2006 | 02:22 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I'm going to add a different take here on 2.0 bump up. Unless you go all out, no matter what you do in that regard, it still won't be on par with newer cars. Also, and perhaps more importantly, IMHO and I repeat IMHO there is NO better sounding 911 than a 2.0. The whine of those cars with the Webers is the sweetest most intoxicating music I've ever heard. So, I would throw out a different take of keeping it as a 2.0.

But, I also strongly support the suggestion to get it running the very best you can now, with a Porsche expert to do it right, and enjoy the hell out of it. And do it all - suspension, tranny and engine. Because done properly, "Porsche right," is like none other. Done any other way, even close is a huge step downward. You will never know what the Porsche mystique is all about, and might sell it and go away dissatisfied if you do it any other way.

Jay
Old 03-07-2006 | 02:54 PM
JH
AutoX

Motor and trans came out easily this am.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:40 PM
JH
AutoX

Well, here we go. Hope to get the rest apart by tomorrow. Hope the picture comes-out??
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2007 | 11:53 PM
John Fusco
7th Gear

JH:

So what did you decide to do ?

Quick Reply: 2.0-2.2,2.4 conversion