Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Frozen front strut? Anyone ever experienced this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen front strut? Anyone ever experienced this?

So I was driving home and I noticed my 911 was handling a little funny when I turned the wheel, especially right turns. In fact, I was convinced I had a flat tire or very low pressure as the car was feeling 'unbalanced' on aggressive right turns. I drive this car 350 miles a week-I know something isn't right. Well, after the tires checked out OK at home, I noticed I COULD NOT MOVE AT ALL the right (pass) fender up/down, like the strut was frozen. Left side no problem, I could one hand it. I was convinced I had a worn strut (no leaks though). I took it to my wrench, who lifted the car, inspected all components, drove it, and everythng is now 'back to normal'. My questions its:

1) Did lifting the car "unstick" the frozen strut.

2) Is it even physically possible for a strut to stick, even after driving over 100 miles stuck, and then to return to normal after being fully extended (from lifting)? I guess I'll know soon enough if it returns...it's normal so far.

Info: I have 22mm/29mm solid torsion bars. Bilstein HD in front, with approx 100k miles on them. Car is about a half inch lower than Euro height. I suspect the lowering has excelerated the wearing, albiet in a small 1 inch section of the strut (limited travel at these heights) Also, should be noted the car has been autocrossed at least 30 times with the current front struts. Thanks in advance for everyone's help/comments. Rennlist rocks!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

1) Thats very possible but I couldn't say for sure until I inspected it,...

2) Oh yes. This can be caused by a bent strut cartridge, excessively worn strut bushings, or excessive wear on the cartridge bodies.

Time for disassembly & close inspection as these do not last forever,.....
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Thank You Steve. I think it's time to swap them out.

I've been searching the forum, but everyone keeps it a secret on their custom valving ratios. I think I want to go custom valving on my front struts, currently Bil HD. Rears are custom Bilsteins, 350/150 on a 29mm Solid Torsion bar. For the people with a similar set-up, what's a good Bilstein ratio for front T bars, solid 22mm. FYI: dual purpose/daily driver car, current set-up is fine on street. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are my settings, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

BTW, I have 22/28mm solid torsion bars on a 1980 911SC:

Front 220 Rebound
110 Compression
Rear 360-370 Rebound
125 Compression

I love this set up. It is actually less harsh than the factory "Sport" shocks that came with the car new. THe ride is firmer than stock but less harsh over bumps.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:25 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Noel,
Thanks for sharing that top secret info! Hopefully some others will be as kind so I can get a ballpark range. Maybe I should make it a new thread.....
Old 02-28-2006, 11:39 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have bilstein struts, the insert gets jammed by bits of rubber when the internal rubber snubber disintegrates. pull out the insert and see if the snubber looks like it was in a blender with oil.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, those valving settings were given to me by the tech at Bilstein as there recommendation for 22/28 torsion bars, the weight of my car and my intended use.

Quick Reply: Frozen front strut? Anyone ever experienced this?