Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Frozen front strut? Anyone ever experienced this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen front strut? Anyone ever experienced this?

So I was driving home and I noticed my 911 was handling a little funny when I turned the wheel, especially right turns. In fact, I was convinced I had a flat tire or very low pressure as the car was feeling 'unbalanced' on aggressive right turns. I drive this car 350 miles a week-I know something isn't right. Well, after the tires checked out OK at home, I noticed I COULD NOT MOVE AT ALL the right (pass) fender up/down, like the strut was frozen. Left side no problem, I could one hand it. I was convinced I had a worn strut (no leaks though). I took it to my wrench, who lifted the car, inspected all components, drove it, and everythng is now 'back to normal'. My questions its:

1) Did lifting the car "unstick" the frozen strut.

2) Is it even physically possible for a strut to stick, even after driving over 100 miles stuck, and then to return to normal after being fully extended (from lifting)? I guess I'll know soon enough if it returns...it's normal so far.

Info: I have 22mm/29mm solid torsion bars. Bilstein HD in front, with approx 100k miles on them. Car is about a half inch lower than Euro height. I suspect the lowering has excelerated the wearing, albiet in a small 1 inch section of the strut (limited travel at these heights) Also, should be noted the car has been autocrossed at least 30 times with the current front struts. Thanks in advance for everyone's help/comments. Rennlist rocks!

Quick Reply: Frozen front strut? Anyone ever experienced this?