Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 911SC repaint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Tarheelexec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 911SC repaint job

I recently bought a 1983 911SC. Low mileage and a really decent car. The color is Kiln red. The car has never been hit or has any body dings or damage whatsoever BUT the previous owner had the car repainted about three years ago (in the original color) to freshen up the paint from road chips and some fadeing dead spots.

The PROBLEM ! Wherever they had it painted was a crummy job. The original German factory paint job was ruined and now to re-do it right I was quoted a price range of 8,500-10,000 to strip it and repaint correctly. Well my plan for the car is to be a driver not a concours car (it only has 61,000 on it).

My question is as follows... Do I get a good (but not necessarily a top Porsche quality paint job done on it for about 3,500 dollars (sanded, taped and painted) at a good local shop to make it look good......leave it alone as is and drive it (ugly) or stretch for the better quality paint job and have about $27,000 in this car and not likely to get that out of it?

I realize this is a personal decision but several of you must have had to consider similar options....Any advise or comments are welcomed....Don
Old 02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

Not nearly worth 27 G . You are right but it is a personal descision. My story is this. I have a 78SC which has had a respray. A pretty good respray but not a GREAT one. I figure if I eventually drive it ( don't ask ) It will be fine for me, I am not interested in impressing any one else, so it comes down to what you want. Perhaps you could find out if there is anything you can do before hand to give you a good paint job at a descent price. Most of the dollars are in the prep work anyway . The paint itself is cheap in comparison to the labour. Why not post a couple of pics ?

ice
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 AM
emac
Racer

My opinion is that unless they sprayed over gum and you have runs down the doors drive it and enjoy. Without seeing the car it is hard to guess how bad it really is. In other eyes it might just be
one hell of a good looking car.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
redidrum
Pro

I have a similar issue. My paint looks great from 10 feet. Then you get up close and see the rock chips in the hood and mirrors. Wouldn't hurt to have my bumpers done too. Most of the shops see Porsche and double the price! What makes our cars so much more than my VW to paint ? I've been told by my mechanic to drive it and enjoy. Don't sweat the little stuff. Mechanically my car is strong. My quest to have a perfect Porsche has now come to having a perfect running car that gives me enjoyment. Tough sell, but, as I get older In have learned to comply. If I can find someone to do it for $2,000 I'll have it painted.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Tarheelexec
Intermediate

Thanks guys....It really is a tough decision. My Porsche mechanic says the car is really solid and in excellent shape. The paint bugs me but like you have said....It's a drive experience not an investment. My plan at this point is to find a good body shop locally and get a decent but not great paint job for about 2000-2500. I'll welcome more opinions.......Don

P.S. I'll post some close up of the paint as soon as I can get the digital camera on it...
Old 02-23-2006, 06:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

redidrum

That is one sharp car, the wheel como is exceptional . Are those refered to as turbo twisties? really finishes off the car nice in that colour combo. My car is Copper Brown so it would not look nearly as nice as yours.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:24 AM
redidrum
Pro

Iceman,

They are the aftermarket FRH Intl. wheels from Bill Hartmann Wheels. He's a great guy. Good prices. I've had two sets. Had them on the 928 before I sold it too. Very strong wheels. I heard horror stories about the Millie Miglia wheels being soft.

This is the correct fitment for our cars.

17 x 7.5 +23 227.00 ea.

17 x 9.0 +15 255.00 ea.

http://www.hartmannwheels.com/site/porsche.php

Ron
Old 02-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the key:

Originally Posted by Tarheelexec
The paint bugs me...
Spend the $3500 on a decent paint job and enjoy the car even more. It obviously causes you a bit of grief to look at the poor paint job, so compromising in the middle ($10,000 paint job verses leaving it) will probably give you a lot of satisfaction and you won't have excessive funds tied up in the new paint job.

If you just leave it, it will always drive you nuts...

Jay
90 964
Old 02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Ron

That is tempting, but it just wouldn't look the same on my car... too bad, but I am keeping the link
Old 02-24-2006, 12:20 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

$10K is ridiculous for a paint job.

If the car needs no body work and it is just paint, a quality shop can do a really really nice factory color re-paint for $3-4K.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
$10K is ridiculous for a paint job.
I agree. The $10k paint job is only for the serious pro level concours or car show type cars that are getting judged on a microscopic level. For a driver, never. One trip down the road and you've already degraded the $10k paint job with stone chips and road rash that has started.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:04 PM
g5o
Instructor

I agree - $3-5k can get you a really nice paint job. You'll save a lot if you some of the prep work...remove the windows, etc.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Tarheelexec
Intermediate

Found a shop on the SC/NC border that does quality repaints..PPG certified shop that guarantees the paint for the life of the car (to existing owner). The price of a glass out, trim off, disassembled and chrome off job is $4200-4500 dollars. Seems like a fair price....Saw some of his work and it looks first class. The name of the shop is Henson's in Landrum SC. He would require the car for four weeks to do the job...(also seems reasonable) Anybody have any experience with this shop.

I also appreciate the comments offered by all........
Old 03-19-2006, 01:08 AM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i work at a PPG aproved body shop and i can tell you thats about what we charge for a full re spray. id take it there and get it done.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
spikesdad
Intermediate

I also have a guards red 83 SC. It has its share of hood chips and front spoiler chips. I sometimes too would like to get mine painted, but I hate to get quoted some of those high prices and pour more money into something that I will never get back. I would get the 3K job...

For my poor self, I think I'm going to get the paint color-matched and spray some of the front spoiler stuff myself. As for the hood and a few other parts, who knows, I might touch it up too.
When friends and others see the car, they don't say anything about the paint job(might be too polite) or maybe I'm being too harsh on the car. As a lot of people say, it's personal preference.
All I know, I really enjoy the heck out of this car. I hope you do too.

Quick Reply: 83 911SC repaint job