Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is the fan housing on a 86 3.2 made out of?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 09:56 AM
HJV11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is the fan housing on a 86 3.2 made out of?

I pulled my fan/housing apart yesterday to look around and diagnose a metallic sound and found that my fan housing is cracked in like 3 places.
All cracks have been there a while and the housing seems to still be sound. I put is all back together and priced a new housing, WOW! Can I pull it off and just have the cracks welded and grind down the welds? Has anyone else done this? Thanks in advance.

BTW the sound had nothing to do with the cracks, turned out I just needed to adjust my fan belt pully DUH. LOL
Old 04-12-2003, 03:10 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the strap may have been over tightened causing the fan shroud to crack.. it's made of magnesium of sorts.. I read about another guy who had to replace the shroud because it was cracked......Ron
Old 04-13-2003, 01:08 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

RJ, I took mine out to paint about a year ago and found some odd "bubbles" and cracks from the casting process that look to have been there from day one. I actuallly filed and sanded the housing a bit before I painted it and wondered about its overall strength but have heard other stories of blemishes in the casting process. It still rung sound when rapped so it went back in and no problems in the last year. Mark
Old 04-14-2003, 09:31 AM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Are you guys sure, i think the one on my sc is made of fiberglass, or is that only me?
Old 04-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fast Red you are thinking of the fan shroud, the housing is a magnesium alloy and can be welded by a competent welder.

Quick Reply: What is the fan housing on a 86 3.2 made out of?