What do you think of this 87

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think of this 87

Hi
I just wanted to say this is a great site, and sorry for the long read but I am very excited about this car.
I just found a beautiful 911 literally a mile away from my house. Here is the eBay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/wp0ab...QQcmdZViewItem

I called them up yesterday to find more about the car. They told me that the car is an excellent overall shape no accidents. The paint is perfect except for a light scratch on the passenger door, no rust. The motor is being rebuilt right now, and the car should be ready to go by next week.

I plan on calling DAN JACOBS (Hairy Dog Garage of CT), to see what he thinks of the car.

As far as the owners go they have owned, raced and worked on 911 for many years, and really seem to know there stuff. He said they have about 5 911's right now.

I plan on using this car as an autox/track car, and occasional weekend drives.

I am going to look at the car this weekend, and what I would really like to know is how much I should offer him. Also I have been researching a lot on what to look when inspecting the car, but any information is greatly appreciated especially when inspecting cars with 140k miles.

Thanks for all your help
Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
johnnyo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, That cars got it all, it would seem you have a turn key well sorted example of a great year P car, just think about what you could potentially spend on a car thats not as fresh as that one even if you had bought another chances are you would or could spend 2-5k getting it up to snuff, it appears all that been done, I would say its a steal at anything under 21K hey cash talks, I see about 4-5k in extras in this car as is. Good Luck!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
racer
Drifting

It reads well. Now go test drive it and PPI it
Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 PM
SandyI
Racer

First and most important, don't get excited until you see the car in person. I know it's hard not to get excited, but phone descriptions really aren't much to go by. If I'd bought off a great phone description, it wouldn't have taken me close to a year to find my 911E.

Did you notice that the ebay pictures are taken at a great distance from the car? Wonder why? Perhaps that "light scratch" isn't so light when you get up close and personal. And just maybe the door isn't the only thing scratched. And we all know that Grand Prix white is the best way to hide any kind of exterior problems in a jpeg.

Does the mention of an "engine rebuild" in the phone conversation, but not in the ebay ad, raise any red flags for you? It would for me. A very big red flag. Because an engine rebuild on that car can go for $10,000. Or more. Get the facts, figures, and the phone number of the person who does this engine work.

Now, if you like the car in person, and it drives well, don't bring a mechanic to the car, take the car to a mechanic, in his shop, with access to his tools and machines, and pay for a complete PPI. And obviously not to the guy who does the engine work. It will be the best money you ever spend.

Now, I'm a natural cynic. Only because I don't know anyone who purchased a car off ebay and got what was advertised. Maybe you'll be the lucky one.

If the car checks out completely mechanically, and the door doesn't need to be resprayed (but I'm betting the door and more needs paint) I'd offer them $16,000. Here's why -- None of those race day modifications increase the value of that car. In fact, they actually decrease the value. Remember, not many people are looking for DE cars and the Carrera market is declining daily.

In So Cal, that's a $16,000 car depending on the paint which could easily bring the price down to $15,000. But I know you eastern folks pay 20-30% more than we do. And you live where it snows! I don't know how you do it. But I digress... Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

seems a little high if you ask me
Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
My87Targa
Racer

mmmm SSR GT3s are hott
Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dan Jacobs is a very experienced, reputable guy and knows how to set these cars up as well as anybody.

If you are buying a track car, the suspension mods this car has would cost $5-10K to do yourself. If this car is tip-top best of everything and totally ready to go, the price is not unreasonable, but I would try to get it down under $20K.... a car like this really does not have alot of value to anybody other than a DE guy.... you have alot more leverage than on a totally stock car.... especially in Feb

The engine re-build is an issue...as pointied out, properly done it would be $8-10K or more... but people can cut alot of corners on a re-build, and you will end up with a piece of junk that may have to be re-done in a year or two.... if the guy is selling the car, he has every incentive to cut corners, so you really need to be certain it was done properly...
Old 02-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I know of this car, am actually distantly involved in it's recent history in an abstract sort of way. Speak with Dan about it, but better yet bring the car to him for a PPI on it's current condition. I agree with JCP about the price, the fact that he spent 10K on the car means little, reality is if you get $0.50 on the dollar back on track parts you are doing well (Ask me how I know!). As for the engine, last I heard it simply had valve guide issues so maybe the "rebuild" is just a top end job?.

Does the car i'm passing at LRP in my avatar look familiar?

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-17-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:10 AM
purplehaze.
Racer

It's my car.

For better photos and info go to: http://members.rennlist.com/odellconsult/

OK, Gary, that hurt. The one time you passed and it's caught on film!!!!! I think Tony was in your car as well.

Gary's engine was actually built by the guys doing my top end right now; Axel and Al Conrad of Foreign Auto Service in Madison CT. Anyone who knows Gary and his car knows they are (both) fast. Dan Jacobs was even surprised by how quick that car was, and double checked it for being stock. These guys just built it right, and Gary drives it very well.

I support getting a PPI from Dan after the top end is done.

I've been focusing on other things and selling this car has not been a priority. Al threw it on ebay to gauge interest, just before I decided to spring for the freshening of the top end. Not the best timing.

I've heard terrific feedback and praise about the looks, wheels, interior, handling, body, suspension set-up of the car, etc. The one common concern was the higher mileage and possible time for a freshened top end (head work, plus). I didn't want that to be an issue with the car, so I'm having it done. Now it will have a freshened engine to go with the fresh suspension. If you wanted a street/track car, already set up and proven to be fast, AND with a solid motor with no worries - this is it! Turn key, ready to go. I've fixed anything that was not up to par so that everything works.

The car is currently in the shop and will be done by the end of the month. The work includes all the head work of new valve guides, seals, and the heads sent to the machine shop for a complete valve job. In addition, it will receive new piston rings, complete new gaskets and seals, and new rod bearings. There were several oil leaks found (old gaskets failing) and replaced, so the engine will be dry, tight, and more powerful. The engine had never been opened and everything looked well maintained. The car was fast, and now will be even faster. I'm sure it was losing plenty of power out through the loose valve seals, and burning oil as well.

The clutch is solid and is not the original as I thought. I could not find receipts for the work, but there is a newer pressure plate and disk which has plenty of life.

This same shop/mechanics just rebuilt my $35K 600-HP twin-turbo motor in my 930. After a gentle break in period for the 930, a leak down test was performed by another highly respected shop (ProtoSport in NJ) and revealed consistent 2% leak down (perfect) across all 6 cylinders. It was built right.

I'll post it more formally on Rennlist shortly. I just saw others getting trashed on Pelican and it was a strong deterrant. Too much critique from parties not interested in buying.

Mike, please contact me if you have more questions. I thought I'd advertise/post it more widely once the engine work is done.

Thanks,

Glenn O'Dell 203-874-2345 glenn@executive-focus.com
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Glenn, I cherish that picture as it was the day (Tony wasn't in my car at the time though) Tony rode with me and we discussed/laughed about the convoluted way that I ended up with my car and you with the 3.2.. I think the only reason I got by you was that my engine just flat runs fantastic and your 3.2 needed freshening as I know our suspensions are almost identical. All I can say is if the guys at Foriegn do as well with your engine as they did with mine then I doubt i'll be passing that car again! You're correct, Dan did actually check my cams to be sure they didn't stick 964 cams in there as he felt it was crazy power/fast for a stock 3.0 (I have to keep it stock for PCA G-Stock if I ever get there)..

Good luck with the sale Glenn, she will make a great DE car for someone! Do you still have the CCW wheels/Hoosiers or am I confusing your car with someone elses?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Thanks a lot, Gary. You're going to be untouchable this year. I hear yellow makes 911's even faster!

You have the right car and person. I sold the CCW/Hoosiers Tony bought but am buying new CCW/Hoosiers for the 930; 9's and 12's. Can't wait! I wanted more power - and now I'll take time to dial in the suspension.

It killed me watching you pass, as I was kicking myself for ever selling that car. I kept an even distance from you the rest of the session, but it hurt. You've done a great job in getting that car set up.

It's good to see/hear feedback on market conditions, and the perspective of other buyers. I see basic or old-looking 3.2's going for 19-20. I didn't think this was too bad a deal, better looking, set up for street or track, and now a freesh top end (plus rod bearings). We shall see.

See you at LRP on the 17/18th!

Glenn
Old 02-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odellconsult
Thanks a lot, Gary. You're going to be untouchable this year. I hear yellow makes 911's even faster!

You have the right car and person. I sold the CCW/Hoosiers Tony bought but am buying new CCW/Hoosiers for the 930; 9's and 12's. Can't wait! I wanted more power - and now I'll take time to dial in the suspension.

It killed me watching you pass, as I was kicking myself for ever selling that car. I kept an even distance from you the rest of the session, but it hurt. You've done a great job in getting that car set up.

It's good to see/hear feedback on market conditions, and the perspective of other buyers. I see basic or old-looking 3.2's going for 19-20. I didn't think this was too bad a deal, better looking, set up for street or track, and now a freesh top end (plus rod bearings). We shall see.

See you at LRP on the 17/18th!

Glenn

Don't kick yourself too hard, I have spent almost $20K on that car since buying it from Tony!! That's why I know what a whack you take when you sell a car with track improvemants.. I would be thrilled to get $20+K for my car (IF I ever sell it). Now add in the new $10K trailer, the new Chevy PU, and i'm back up to what my 997S cost me new!! I do love DE's though!!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:54 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Thanks, Gary. Yeah, who said this was an investment? You've got to love the cars and track time. And besides, you have a killer trailer.

I think this will be a nice car you can drive to the track, nail it (I mean, enhance your driving prowess), then drive home.

Keep the input coming to help out Mike!

Glenn
Old 02-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Conekiller
Racer

Thanks for all the great replies, and I really appreciate all the help. I am going to look at the car tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Mike

Quick Reply: What do you think of this 87